• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cocky4ever

Nick Saban fires back on subject of HUNH offenses..

92 posts in this topic

didn't put this in the trash talk section because I have no interest in trololing Bama fans this morning. It actually can be a serious topic, and I can see both sides. Like Nick Saban said it's not like the HUNH offenses are out there destroying Bama's D, but at the same time it's obviously the one they have the most trouble with.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/tag/_/name/morning-links

Don’t call it a tirade, because it wasn’t. But when Nick Saban was asked on Saturday how he and the staff were preparing for hurry-up, no-huddle offenses, he didn’t exactly answer in kind.

“You know, in all honesty, guys, you all make way too much of this,” he said.

Oh, do tell.

“I mean, [Auburn] had 21 points against us with 30 seconds to go in the game, and I don’t think anybody held them to 21 points all year long,” Saban said. “I saw them score 60 in the SEC Championship Game, or whatever. We shut Ole Miss out here. We had four turnovers against Oklahoma that led to 28 points; two [touchdowns] the defense never even got back on the field.”

You know what that sounds like? Excuses.

Before you go ballistic, think about it. Did Alabama play all that poorly against HUNH offenses last season? Maybe not, compared to the rest of the country. But since when does Alabama compare itself to anyone? As Kirby Smart said prior to last season, “A lot of people think our standard is to be first in the SEC, be first in the country. ... We really don't go by that motto. We go by: Be the best Alabama defense there's been.”

From 2009-11, it seemed like no one could score on the Tide. Now, uptempo offenses are having some success poking holes in Alabama’s aura of invincibility. Are they big holes? Maybe not, but they are there nonetheless. Nearly 300 yards rushing by Auburn says so. Oklahoma throwing for 348 yards and four touchdowns says so. Texas A&M racking up 628 yards -- the most ever allowed by an Alabama defense -- says so, too.

When Saban said, “We make it out like we’re horrible when we play a (no-huddle) team,” his argument was essentially that the scheme is sound, the preparation is good, but that the tempo makes it difficult to implement because of the trouble communicating from the sideline. But that sounds like a distinction without a difference. If you study all week for an exam, bring the sharpest No. 2 pencils and then answer most of the questions incorrectly, you still fail.

“We need to improve on it,” Saban said of defending the HUNH. “But I think we need to improve on defense, period.”

Both are true. But what good is one without the other?

Saban could say hes very happy that his daughter married an upstanding Christian man and everyone would write headlines that:

He hates gays because his daughter married a man

He hates all other religions because his daughters husband is Christian

He is going to Texas

And hes still crying over the HUNH.

Get the lanekiffin.gif over it. Just because Saban has to stones to admit when he doesn't like something doesn't mean it should be as blown up as it has.

Saban could say hes very happy that his daughter married an upstanding Christian man and everyone would write headlines that:

He hates gays because his daughter married a man

He hates all other religions because his daughters husband is Christian

He is going to Texas

And hes still crying over the HUNH.

Get the :lanekiffin: over it. Just because Saban has to stones to admit when he doesn't like something doesn't mean it should be as blown up as it has.

Saying you don't like something and saying we should change the rules for some completely made up reason are two different things.

How about you play your football and we'll play ours and we'll see who ends up the winner? When you have the ball we try and stop you when we have the ball you try to stop us. Whoever stops the most wins? Stfu about how it's done.

Saying you don't like something and saying we should change the rules for some completely made up reason are two different things.

They are, but you have to admit, when Saban says something not matter how insignificant, it gets blown outta the water.

I agree with the article

It's still very very difficult to beat Alabama, but it doesn't seem as impossible as it once did

How about you play your football and we'll play ours and we'll see who ends up the winner? When you have the ball we try and stop you when we have the ball you try to stop us. Whoever stops the most wins? Stfu about how it's done.

Lol... I think we found out last year when the Rebs came to town...

He has already made adjustments. Why else would Alabama have 19 linebackers on the roster?

Rashaan Evans 6-3 225 4.51

Christian Miller 6-4 215 4.52

Keith Holcombe 6-3 215 4.46

Adrian Hubbard 6-6 252 4.69

HUNH uses speed to burn big pro style linebackers outside with screens and sweeps. It's a mismatch that has to be accounted for. I watched teams run around Adrian Hubbard too many times last season. I do think smaller linebackers and the 4-3 is the way to attack the HUNH. I think you'll see SEC defenses evolve and do a better job in stopping them. The real advantage of the HUNH seems to be to get 4-6 yards quickly on 1st down and keep yourself ahead of the chains. You can continue to go hurry up or you can slow it down on 2nd and 4 and draw up something really nice. Everybody likes 2nd and 4 - except defenses.

You do know that hunhs Take advantage of a recent rule change no?

Lol... I think we found out last year when the Rebs came to town...

deflect away.

I think they should make a new rule that the team with the most points at the end of the game should automatically win

He didn't try to get a rule changed.....when the Ncaa had a meeting on the subject, they asked Saban to come to the meeting and embellish on his comments on the hurry up from earlier in the season....his appearance before that committee per their request is what got every hater to start spewing misinformation

OMG...article trying to make Saban look bad.....

not-this-shit-again_zpsb4456328.jpg

deflect away.

Deflect away?

"We'll find out who wins"

Will you the hype machine that is Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss Rebels keep saying every year until they finally beat Alabama?

I actually believed Ole Miss could give us a game last year but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Worry about the other team in your state before you think about beating Alabama.

He has already made adjustments. Why else would Alabama have 19 linebackers on the roster?

Rashaan Evans 6-3 225 4.51

Christian Miller 6-4 215 4.52

Keith Holcombe 6-3 215 4.46

Adrian Hubbard 6-6 252 4.69

HUNH uses speed to burn big pro style linebackers outside with screens and sweeps. It's a mismatch that has to be accounted for. I watched teams run around Adrian Hubbard too many times last season. I do think smaller linebackers and the 4-3 is the way to attack the HUNH. I think you'll see SEC defenses evolve and do a better job in stopping them. The real advantage of the HUNH seems to be to get 4-6 yards quickly on 1st down and keep yourself ahead of the chains. You can continue to go hurry up or you can slow it down on 2nd and 4 and draw up something really nice. Everybody likes 2nd and 4 - except defenses.

Agreed. SC has had pretty good success against the HUNH while running a 4-2-5. Pretty much the same point you're making as far as having more mobile LBs(our Spur is basically a LB/safety hybrid). You need that speed on the field and you need depth. That seems like an obvious step, but I wonder how much size Saban is willing to give up on the D-line. He loves to use those mammoths in the middle(like every other 3-4), but they get winded fast. At SC we use the more conventional sizes on the line, and even had a rabbit package with 4 DEs on the line at one time. There are different ways to account for the different things you'll see, so it'll be interesting to see how people balance out their roster to accommodate for it all. The many different styles you'll see from week to week is one of the things I love about college football...like I said though it may get more difficult to have packages and lineups that'll allow you to be ready for anything you might see.

Boy it's hell to be the BIG BOY on the hill. Everyone throwing rocks.

Hell he pretty much nailed it, and everything else has been hashed on already. Let's let the games begin and see if everyone puts their money where their mouth is, I'll still take Nicky.

Deflect away?

Will you the hype machine that is Hugh Freeze's Ole Miss Rebels keep saying every year until they finally beat Alabama?

I actually believed Ole Miss could give us a game last year but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Worry about the other team in your state before you think about beating Alabama.

Hey man, you got a second to discuss this years's Bama v Ole Miss game?

:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

Hell he pretty much nailed it, and everything else has been hashed on already. Let's let the games begin and see if everyone puts their money where their mouth is, I'll still take Nicky.

Like I said in another thread: I'm tired of hearing about these guys, coaches, players, and whatnot. It's time for toe to meet leather. Let's watch these guys, and see what they can do already.

Agreed. SC has had pretty good success against the HUNH while running a 4-2-5. Pretty much the same point you're making as far as having more mobile LBs(our Spur is basically a LB/safety hybrid). You need that speed on the field and you need depth. That seems like an obvious step, but I wonder how much size Saban is willing to give up on the D-line. He loves to use those mammoths in the middle(like every other 3-4), but they get winded fast. At SC we use the more conventional sizes on the line, and even had a rabbit package with 4 DEs on the line at one time. There are different ways to account for the different things you'll see, so it'll be interesting to see how people balance out their roster to accommodate for it all. The many different styles you'll see from week to week is one of the things I love about college football...like I said though it may get more difficult to have packages and lineups that'll allow you to be ready for anything you might see.

I think he plans to use both. We'll have guys that primarily play against LSU and Arkansas and guys that primarily play against Ole Miss and Auburn. He has managed to get top talent with both type players. I don't think we would have gotten Da'Shawn Hand without pitching 4-3. Kentucky got the big 3-4 NT that we wanted. I think I'm going to lament missing out on him like I did with Clowney and Fournette & almost did with C. Kouandjio. Saban has great depth on the DL this year though if we can get our guys back from injury and suspension.

The big players used to run the 3-4 may be responsible for the rise of the HUNH. Teams were forced to run around and wear down the big guys to be able to compete. You have to have a mobile QB to run the HUNH I think. Otherwise you just have a spread team that plays fast.

I still don't like it. It makes all that coaching that you did scouting and teaching the defense pointless.

I can say this as well, Alabama is still the team that can beat anybody. Due to talent and the experienced staff. They're still that one team on the schedule that everyone will ive their best game or say how do we not embarrass ourselves?

Problems or not, and no trash talk here, the Bama thorn is bigger in everyone else's side than the HUNH in theirs.

Let's play some damn football!

Deflect away?

I don't even know what to do with this response it's so incredibly stupid and base. It's got nothing to do with Ole Miss versus Bama. The teams, conference, and division are completely coincidental; it's your team versus my team, whoever they are.

Really with this?

What beats Bama is outstanding football teams. Bama has lost 9 games since 2007. Only one of them, 2010 SC, was to a team that did NOT win ELEVEN games. And they were the SEC East champion. Here are the 9 teams and their records:

2008 Florida: 13-1

2008 Utah: 13-0

2010 South Carolina: 9-5

2010 LSU: 11-2

2010 Auburn: 14-0

2011 LSU: 13-1

2012 Texas A&M: 11-2

2013 Auburn: 12-2

2013 Oklahoma: 11-2

• Titans4Vols
      Arkansas is only favored by 1 point more(35) over Alcorn State than Alabama is over Kentucky...that is insane.
    • cocky4ever
      Most people here probably think I love Trump but actually I just think he is the only chance we have to get someone in the office who will steer us off of this unsustainable path. Hillary has supported most attacks on the middle class. She loves NAFTA and supported the TPP. And as Trump pointed out(which I'm amazed hasn't gotten more attention) the only thing that seems good about the past 8 years is actually just an illusion. Once the fed stops unjustifiably propping up the stock market we'll be right back where we started when Obama walked into office, only with a s--t ton more debt. And Hillary wants to carry out the same types of policies. So we have someone who supports horrible policies, is incredibly corrupt, and will assuredly s--t all over the constitution with her Supreme Court nominations.    Trump may may or may not do much better, but he almost certainly couldn't do worse. 
    • jacobp
      As is the Razorback Foundation.   there are more than two, but not money. Any funds directed toward the big three sports from the university are always sent back at the end of the year, usually with an extra $2-3 million attached   
    • TheRealBrave
      UGA has 0 talent at OL. True freshman QB. Possession WR's that cannot catch. Kickers cannot make middle-school level kicks. Half of our secondary are better at being matadors than corners
    • bobbyb0322
      No. Gary Johnson is a pretty successful business man in his own right. I mean, he didn't have daddy's millions to build his business from so he didn't get quite to that level that Trump did having everything given to him.
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      bbqit
      bbqit
    2. 2
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    3. 3
      razorhead
      razorhead
    4. 4
      JoeGator