• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cocky4ever

what's your 2014 trap game??

86 posts in this topic

For SC I'd probably have to say ecu. Fall practice we'll just be getting our schemes down and working on the final depth chart. Then working on getting ready for A&M for about a week. After that it will be really tempting for the team to start focusing on UGA. Starting out 2-0 in conference(assuming we beat the Aggies) while your main competition for the division sits at 0-1 would be awesome. But ecu is a decent team, and they beat unc by more than 3 TDs in Chapel Hill, and beat nc state by 2 TDs in Raleigh last year. We're obviously the better team, but we better come ready to play. Luckily it's a 7 PM game instead of an early game. That should help a good bit with the atmosphere and having the players get ready.

Much as it pains me to say this:

UT.

We start the season with arguably the toughest part of our schedule. Clemson (granted its in Athens) and then @@USCEAST. Two very big games for us, along with the beginning of the season gitters.

Then we have Troy (cakewalk) which could help or hurt us. If we start 0-2 we will be down in the dumps feeling like iaBdfkZ.png and UT could come in two weeks later and give us hell. I feel better that the game is in Athens though. Now maybe we wont lose half our team on "rocky top"

UT is also the first of our 7 game SEC stretch.

UT at home, Vandy at home

Mizzou, Arky, UF (Jax), Kentucky all away games.

I think ours would be Ole Miss. They're getting better every year and the defense will be stout this year.

We don't have any trap games, lol.

Although if I had to choose one I'd say Texas Tech or NIU

MSU is generally a trap game for us, being right after the LSU game. We just don't have much left in the tank. In 2012, that's when the Aggies caught us.

For SC I'd probably have to say ecu. Fall practice we'll just be getting our schemes down and working on the final depth chart. Then working on getting ready for A&M for about a week. After that it will be really tempting for the team to start focusing on UGA. Starting out 2-0 in conference(assuming we beat the Aggies) while your main competition for the division sits at 0-1 would be awesome. But ecu is a decent team, and they beat unc by more than 3 TDs in Chapel Hill, and beat nc state by 2 TDs in Raleigh last year. We're obviously the better team, but we better come ready to play. Luckily it's a 7 PM game instead of an early game. That should help a good bit with the atmosphere and having the players get ready.

Not the same team as 2013. ECU returns only 9 starters in 2014. Only two 1A teams return fewer. Mo with 8 and Utah State with 7. Single digits in that area does not bode well for a team.

@south Alabama.

The game before LSU, it's a road game...we always play down to non bcs opponents on the road.

Not the same team as 2013. ECU returns only 9 starters in 2014. Only two 1A teams return fewer. Mo with 8 and Utah State with 7. Single digits in that area does not bode well for a team.

Wow, didn't realize that. Makes me feel a lot better about the game. I'd still say it's probably the best candidate for a trap on our schedule. Only other one could be @Vandy in between playing UGA and Mizzou. But we should know better than to take any SEC team lightly, and they've played us close before(and even won 2 in a row while Spurrier was here).

@Kentucky.

Kentucky usually plays us extremely tough in Lexington so i think that's a game we really have to play mistake free football in to pull off the win. We had to play our ass off to beat them in Williams-Brice last year to pull off the close victory 35-38.

We won pretty soundly in 2012 but Kentucky's starting QB went out early with a bum ankle if i remember correctly and it was all down hill from there for Kentucky's offense.

Before that the last time we played in Lexington in 2010 we lost 31-28 in a game that still pisses me off to this day. Losing Lattimore hurt but we had a decent lead at half time 28-10 but still managed to lose mainly because of Spurriers conservative play calling IMO (not disrespect to Kentucky, they made the plays to come back and win the game). In 2008 we scraped by 24-17.

I think it's going to be a good close ball game with hopefully the good guys coming out on top.

Bama, little brother might sneak up on us this year.

I think ours would be Ole Miss. They're getting better every year and the defense will be stout this year.

And their defense has been assaulting people all offseason.... literally.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say all of them.

MSU is generally a trap game for us, being right after the LSU game. We just don't have much left in the tank. In 2012, that's when the Aggies caught us.

This is exactly what I was thinking. A lot of similarities to this year's MSU game and the 2012 Texas A&M game.

LSU is always an emotionally and physically taxing matchup. I don't recall us ever coming out strong out of the gates in the game after. MSU is the kind of team that could exploit us there, especially considering they've got Kentucky, Arkansas and UT-Martin in the weeks leading up to our game. They'll have a great opportunity to fine-tune some things.

I think Ole Miss is a dangerous matchup too, but it's at a better part of the schedule. MSU right after LSU and two weeks before Auburn is...eh...a bit unnerving.

Bama, little brother might sneak up on us this year.

UAB isn't on your schedule?

This is exactly what I was thinking. A lot of similarities to this year's MSU game and the 2012 Texas A&M game.

LSU is always an emotionally and physically taxing matchup. I don't recall us ever coming out strong out of the gates in the game after. MSU is the kind of team that could exploit us there, especially considering they've got Kentucky, Arkansas and UT-Martin in the weeks leading up to our game. They'll have a great opportunity to fine-tune some things.

I think Ole Miss is a dangerous matchup too, but it's at a better part of the schedule. MSU right after LSU and two weeks before Auburn is...eh...a bit unnerving.

oh stop, you're making me blush.

Go on...

oh stop, you're making me blush.

Go on...

Just thankful we're not playing you guys in Starkville this year.

Just thankful we're not playing you guys in Starkville this year.

fear not, we are not winning in Tuscaloosa.

fear not, we are not winning in Tuscaloosa.

Let's not get carried away, fella!

(I hope you're wrong)

Let's not get carried away, fella!

(I hope you're wrong)

don't think you read that right. lol

don't think you read that right. lol

Well in that case, don't highlight my post lol. Damn double negatives!

I would laugh so hard if state beat Alabama.

Then we have Troy (cakewalk) which could help or hurt us. If we start 0-2 we will be down

troy is never a cake walk imo. they play everyone tough. they'll get beat in the end, but imo just never a cake walk.