• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cocky4ever

Official 2014 SEC Media Days Thread

77 posts in this topic

The official unofficial start to the college football season kicks off in just about an hour, so I figured we need to go ahead and get the thread started.

Day 1:

-Mike Slive

-Malzahn

-Muschamp

-Mason

Day 2:

- Spurrier

- Mullen

- Sumlin

- Jones

Day 3:

- SEC Officials Steve Shaw & Justin Connolly

- Pinkel

- Miles

- Bielema

Day 4:

- Richt

- Freeze

- Saban

- Stoops

Day one will be boring. Day two will be awesome. Day three could go either way. Day four will show that 90% of Bama fans are jobless and have nothing better to do other than follow Saban around.

Wake me up Thursday afternoon. Stoooops!

before things get kicked off let's look back at some of the better quotes over the years

T.J. Moe stole the show. When asked to compare the SEC and the Big XII, Mizzou’s former conference, Moe said, “They say girls are prettier here, air’s fresher and toilet paper is thicker.”

Spurrier took a shot at Alabama who had won the national championship without winning the SEC championship saying, “It’s easier to win the National Championship than the SEC, ask Nick Saban.”

When asked about the Gamecock’s schedule last year Spurrier quipped, “If I made the schedule, Georgia would be playing LSU and we’d be playing Ole Miss.” And Spurrier, who’s routinely asked if he’s going to retire, said every time he’s asked that, “I feel like asking you guys how much longer you’re gonna write!”

Caldwell responded, according to AL.com, “When I took a pay cut to go to Furman as a full-time assistant, my daddy said, ‘You’re an idiot.’ I’ve continued to live up to his word, I’m sure.”

Then South Carolina head coach Lou Holtz was asked by a writer to answer a question in 15-20 seconds and then proceeded to ask about a two minute question.

Without missing a beat, Holtz replied, “If you can’t ask the question in 20 seconds; why should I answer it in 20 seconds?” After the room stopped laughing, Holtz answered the reporter’s question, but not quite in 20 seconds.

I hope someone asks Spurrier why 1/3 of USC's 2014 class didn't qualify yet.

I hope someone asks Spurrier why 1/3 of USC's 2014 class didn't qualify yet.

Me too....it's gonna be hilarious. I expect some good quotes from his as usual.

damn...they just said this is the first time in Malzahn's college career that he's had a QB starting for the 2nd straight year in his offense.

damn...they just said this is the first time in Malzahn's college career that he's had a QB starting for the 2nd straight year in his offense.

Happens when you haven't ever been at the same school more than 3 years.

Happens when you haven't ever been at the same school more than 3 years.

and can we really call Nick Marshall a "QB"??

I call him a lowlife thug that shouldn't even be in the SEC anymore....but I'm an asshole.

The full schedule of events is below.

MONDAY (July 14, 2014)

Session I: 12:00-3:30 PM (eastern)

Auburn (head coach Gus Malzhuan, Nick Marshall, Reese Dismukes, and Gabe Wright)

Session II: 3:40-6:40 PM (eastern)

Florida (head coach Will Muschamp, Jeff Driskel, Dante Fowler, Vernon Hargreaves III)

Vanderbilt (head coach Derek Mason, Adam Butler, Steven Scheu, and Andrew Williamson)

TUESDAY (July 15, 2014)

Session I: 10:00 AM-1:00 PM (eastern)

South Carolina (head coach Steve Spurrier, AJ Cann, JT Surratt, and Dylan Thompson)

Mississippi State (head coach Dan Mullen, Jay Hughes, Benardrick McKinney, and Dak Prescott)

Session II: 2:00-5:00 PM (eastern)

Texas A&M (head coach Kevin Sumlin, Deshazor Everett, Drew Kaser, and Cedric Ogbuehi)

Tennessee (head coach Butch Jones, Mack Crowder, AJ Johnson, and Curt Maggitt)

WEDNESDAY (July 16, 2014)

Steve Shaw (SEC coordinator officials) and Justin Connolly (ESPN Senior VP of College Networks)

Missouri (head coach Gary Pinkel, Evan Boehm, Markus Golden, and Matty Mauk)

Session II: 2:00-5:00 PM (eastern)

LSU (head coach Les Miles, La’el Collins, Terrence Magee, and DJ Welter)

Arkansas (head coach Bret Bielema, Brey Cook, Trey Flowers, and Alan Turner)

THURSDAY (July 17, 2014)

Georgia (head coach Mark Richt, Chris Conley, Todd Gurley, and Ramik Wilson)

Ole Miss (head coach Hugh Freeze, CJ Johnson, Bo Wallace, and Cody Prewitt)

Session II: 1:00-4:00 PM (eastern)

Alabama (head coach Nick Saban, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper, and Christion Jones)

Kentucky (head coach Mark Stoops, Bud Dupree, Jordan Swindle, and Za’Darius Smith)

we all knew it was coming....Mike Slive once again fired shots at the NCAA. Reiterated that the power conferences would propose changes to better serve student athletes, and that if needed the power conferences would come up with a way on their own.

Can't remember exactly how he put it. Will update once transcript or quote is available.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9483020/sec-continue-push-ncaa-change-commissioner-mike-slive-says

highlights:

"We have supported and will continue to support the NCAA as the appropriate governing organization for intercollegiate athletics, but at the same time, however, we will continue to push for changes we believe are in the best interest of our student-athletes," he said.

"The NCAA has not been successful in meeting the full cost of attendance of our student-athletes," he said. "… Conferences and their member institutions must be allowed to meet the needs of their student-athletes. In recent conversations with my commissioner colleagues, there appears to be a willingness to support a meaningful solution to this important change."

Slive openly questioned the NCAA Board of Directors, saying there are "important questions that need to be answered" about its structure.

"For example, what changes need to be made to the NCAA structure to provide significant roles for the stakeholders, the presidents, chancellors, athletic directors, institutional administrators, conference administrators, and coaches?" he asked. "What is the proper role, function and composition and size of the NCAA Board of Directors? Do we need all of the services provided by the NCAA's national office, its many committees and task forces, or are some of these services better provided elsewhere?

"And how do we streamline the NCAA committee and legislative processes to provide leaders and visionaries who will ensure the NCAA's future?"

not available at link, but he also said they plan to present a proposal of changes to the NCAA soon(I think mid August), and continued that "we should know something soon."

Somewhere backstage Bob Holt is still asking Malzhan questions.

Not even following media days until tomorrow.

Today:

Gus will promise "punishment" for his QB. Lulz

Muschamp will scream and proclaim that Georgias streak will die this year, then tackle a hostess because he asked for lemon in his water.

I call him a lowlife thug that shouldn't even be in the SEC anymore....but I'm an asshole.

So, you call him run-of-the-mill Auburn football player?

Did G-Mac legit just say that he wished he'd been as talented as Dak is?

I want Auburn,and all teams we play,to be full force.

It's the best way to see where we stand.

Bielema will say something stupid. Miles will say only stupid things. Malzahn will suck a dick

Bielema will say something stupid. Miles will say only stupid things. Malzahn will suck a dick

Mullens will talk extremely fast not answering the question asked but answering to what he wanted asked. Cal at ky is good at this too. I have nothing against it cause of all the dumb questions asked but I leaves me wondering who interviewed who.

• L.A.Hog
      Exactly, he tells you what you want to hear.With no plan to follow.... But he'll reveal it soon...afrer all, its only two months til election..he'll let us know pretty soon, I reckon, what his plan is.... but that wall is the plan, millions of dollars that will be pissed off before construction, then billions to build it and we pay for it.When I say we,i don't include trump because he don't pay taxes.He's a rich welfare baby.... screw that deadbeat bitch...
    • smokeyone
      Maybe it's been so long since we have seen a candidate with a clue we don't recognize them anymore.  Boarders, Standards (law), and Culture. The fundamental essence of a nation. As it stands the system has all but removed them from this dying once great nation. Nobody respects them anymore. No one want to acknowledge they matter. Hell Trump wasn't my first or second choice but he has the message we need to hear
    • bbqit
      https://medium.com/sportspickle/lsu-not-sure-who-to-hire-after-discovering-coach-eric-taylor-is-not-a-real-person-f04ae9f1b3e2#.llqop0a04
    • smokeyone
      If you can't discuss it link it to hitler I guess.
    • TheRealBrave
      I'm not even convinced Chubb is our best option right now if we're going to run into a loaded box up the gut every down with no space... might as well let a smaller back like Herrien do that. Don't know why we don't let Chubb run outside more, it's where he is very dangerous. On Richt, part of the problem is he could only find ways to win tough games when it was too late to matter
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      bbqit
      bbqit
    2. 2
      razorhead
      razorhead
    3. 3
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    4. 4
      JoeGator