• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GatorHater24

Missouri wins award

41 posts in this topic

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/missouri-wins-sec-sportsmanship-award/

You can tack on some more hardware to Mizzou’s 2013 season.

The Tigers’ football team will share the SEC Sportsmanship Award with the Tennessee basketball team. Mizzou was recognized for how they supported and protected Michael Sam, who revealed to his teammates he was gay during August’s preseason camp.

Sam went on to lead the SEC with 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss and became the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year. Sam was drafted in the seventh round by the St. Louis Rams.

The SEC Sportsmanship Award is chosen through a vote of the conference’s athletic directors.

So stupid....... and that the SEC Athletic Directors are the ones that chose is just embarrassing to the SEC as a whole.

As if the team had any choice here? Because not supporting him would have went over SO well with the rest of the country.

Michael Sam after the SEC Championship Game:

"Whew! That was an ass pounding and I, for one, loved it!"

Posted · Hidden by Porcine, March 2, 2015 - No reason given · Report post

Protected him? From what?

As if the team had any choice here? Because not supporting him would have went over SO well with the rest of the country.

You're missing the point. The fact that the ADs around the SEC voted for Missouri for this reason is just stupid. The dude came out when he did as a complete publicity stunt to get some attention and the school didn't do iaBdfkZ.png because there wasn't iaBdfkZ.png that needed to be done. Nobody would have given a care in the world about his sexual preference until he made it a public statement.

You're missing the point. The fact that the ADs around the SEC voted for Missouri for this reason is just stupid. The dude came out when he did as a complete publicity stunt to get some attention and the school didn't do iaBdfkZ.png because there wasn't iaBdfkZ.png that needed to be done. Nobody would have given a care in the world about his sexual preference until he made it a public statement.

I'm pretty sure it's not about when he came out on TV but when he came out at the beginning of the season to the team.

Why do you care? It's such an insignificant award. I honestly don't even know the story that meant we came in 2nd.

Why do you care? It's such an insignificant award. I honestly don't even know the story that meant we came in 2nd.

I don't. It just the principle of it. So we're going to start giving awards based on opinions of sexual preference? If its their own personal business, lets leave it that way. Don't tell me its your own personal business and then proceed to become some media whore.

I just generally had a problem with it being such a huge story in the first place, his motives were quite clear.

I can't believe we're talking about this all over again.

First, each individual is born with his or her own sexuality; it ain't a preference.

Second, obviously there's still a stigma attached to it, especially in sports, or folks would have been coming out publicly a helluva lot more often, rather than waiting until they retired to divulge the information.

And finally, Sam's motives are completely irrelevant in this situation because the award isn't being given to Sam; it's being given to the team for handling the news with maturity and support all season; which is noteworthy and unprecedented because that same stigma has been making programs and franchises choose secrecy as their standard modus operandi for decades.

I can't believe we're talking about this all over again.

First, each individual is born with his or her own sexuality; it ain't a preference.

Second, obviously there's still a stigma attached to it, especially in sports, or folks would have been coming out publicly a helluva lot more often, rather than waiting until they retired to divulge the information.

And finally, Sam's motives are completely irrelevant in this situation because the award isn't being given to Sam; it's being given to the team for handling the news with maturity and support all season; which is noteworthy and unprecedented because that same stigma has been making programs and franchises choose secrecy as their standard modus operandi for decades.

Ok, what would have been option B for them? So they get an award for..... not gay-bashing? They did nothing, as nothing was required. No need to stand up for someone who isn't getting threatened, which he wasn't.

Ok, what would have been option B for them? So they get an award for..... not gay-bashing?

What do you mean? Option B would have been to handle it like the other locker rooms who've found out while the players were still on the teams... treat the guy like a pariah.

There's a reason these players go to extraordinary lengths to keep that iaBdfkZ.png quiet... gay jokes in the locker room are the norm. Obviously that still goes on, as the ever-present social networks and twitterverse proved.

And I'm not taking sides on the issue, iaBdfkZ.png doesn't affect me either way; but I do recognize that the Mizzou players handled it much differently than has been the custom.

What do you mean? Option B would have been to handle it like the other locker rooms who've found out while the players were still on the teams... treat the guy like a pariah.

There's a reason these players go to extraordinary lengths to keep that iaBdfkZ.png quiet... gay jokes in the locker room are the norm. Obviously that still goes on, as the ever-present social networks and twitterverse proved.

And I'm not taking sides on the issue, iaBdfkZ.png doesn't affect me either way; but I do recognize that the Mizzou players handled it much differently than has been the custom.

Ok, yeah I see your point now. I guess to me an award for sportsmanship should be more of a team that goes above and beyond, rather than solely behaving in a manner that you're expected to but I definitely see where you are coming from.

we deserved this award because we made our opponents happy every Saturday........where's the love man.

we deserved this award because we made our opponents happy every Saturday........where's the love man.

You'll have to get behind us in line...we're still waiting on the lifetime achievement award for that.

I don't. It just the principle of it. So we're going to start giving awards based on opinions of sexual preference? If its their own personal business, lets leave it that way. Don't tell me its your own personal business and then proceed to become some media whore.

I just generally had a problem with it being such a huge story in the first place, his motives were quite clear.

No you obviously care. It's as insignificant an award as one could get in this conference and you're mad because a gay man is at the center of it all.

No you obviously care. It's as insignificant an award as one could get in this conference and you're mad because a gay man is at the center of it all.

I would think you'd be mad. Because as insignificant as it is, its the best UT has received..... and they have to share it.

Don't act like you know me. Supporting someone's sexual preference is no reason for an award is my opinion, you can make up whatever you please

You'll have to get behind us in line...we're still waiting on the lifetime achievement award for that.

dammit,we can't even win at sucking.....

It's almost like getting a gold sticker from your school teacher and your mom put it on the fridge.

this is nonsense...a "sportsmanship" award goes to a team simply based on the publicity surrounding a single player. this is a team sport. I have never in my entire life seen so much publicity for a player who was selected in the seventh round of the draft. this was all one big publicity stunt to generate the hype to get to the nfl...and nothing more! if he makes it, its on his own merit, but can we stop pretending that this was about anything else. who gives a crap about his sexual preference!

"I sucked a bunch of dongs and my Tiger teammates didn't tar and feather me for it."

Here's an award. Way to be, guys.