• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gidnik

Alabama swimmer dies in storms

16 posts in this topic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/04/29/alabama-swimmer-confirmed-as-person-killed-in-storms/8453135/

John Servati, a member of the Alabama men's swimming team, was killed Monday night when severe storms and a tornado swept through the Tuscaloosa area, school officials confirmed Tuesday morning.

According to school spokesman Shane Dorrill, Servati, 21, died at DCH Regional Medical Center in Tuscaloosa after being injured at a house near the university campus. He was killed when a retaining wall in the basement collapsed on him. His girlfriend survived without injury.

Servati, of Tupelo, Miss., was a three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll member. He competed in freestyle and backstroke events for the Crimson Tide.

Alabama coaches met with members of the swimming and diving team to address Servati's death.

The school's swimming and diving Twitter account read: "All our thoughts and prayers are with the Servati family and the Tupelo community. We all have a place in our hearts where John will live on."

This storm came almost three years to the day of a series of tornadoes devastated Alabama.

On April 27, 2011, a tornado tore through Tuscaloosa, killing 50 people, including six students. More than 7,200 homes and businesses were lost — about 12% of the city. Statewide, more than 240 died.

Condolences Bama faithful, terrible story. UF just lost its longtime diving coach last week in a boating accident... we can relate.

Really hate to hear it, I knew once I heard a tornado touched down near Shelton, and headed across hwy 69 that it may end up being fatal. Thoughts are with his family.

Just awful. The word is he was able to shield/protect his girlfriend during the collapse but at his own life's expense. Heartbreaking.

It is a miracle to survive these storms without some unspeakable losses. Prayers to his family and to all who suffered from this terrible storm.

Didn't the long snapper who died in 2011 shield his gf, too?

Was going to troll but decided not to.

I dare you to be disrespectful and "troll", go right ahead.

I dare you to be disrespectful and "troll", go right ahead.

A mod is asking someone to troll a dead person? That's just sick, man. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and I hope they don't see what you wrote.

A mod is asking someone to troll a dead person? That's just sick, man. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and I hope they don't see what you wrote.

Your sarcasm isn't really needed in a respectful thread, and we won't see anything further.

Banned from thread.

Didn't the long snapper who died in 2011 shield his gf, too?

He didn't die, she did.

But yeah he was shielding her as well, they were both just sucked up.

Terrible. I feel for his parents.. strange his hometown was also hit the same day by a tornado.

The even sadder thing is, they were in the basement and nowhere near the tornado. Rain caused the wall to wash out. I don't know how the law would work in this situation but it seems to me the landlord could be liable. I really don't know.