• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeGator

Cuonzo Martin to Cal

218 posts in this topic

UT - UNIVERSITY of TURNOVER

Guy sticks it in by making a run to the Sweet 16 and proving his detractors wrong; and then breaks it off by bolting shortly thereafter.

Cuonzo was paying attention in Get-the-last-laugh 101.

The off season in Knoxville just wouldn't be the same without a coaching search.

Gregg Marshall?

Like they could afford him.

I'd be willing to bet they go after another no-name coach in order to pinch pennies.

Firing after wrong hire and firing is really taking a toll on their athletics department.

Weren't they operating in the red a couple years ago?

Like they could afford him.

I'd be willing to bet they go after another no-name coach in order to pinch pennies.

Firing after wrong hire and firing is really taking a toll on their athletics department.

Weren't they operating in the red a couple years ago?

Yep they just got back into the black.

I think Ben Howland is unemployed

What he did was take back control of his own future, and is leaving on HIS terms instead of at the whim of UT.

UT's biggest problem is that they treated him and his family so poorly that they'll likely have to pay out the wazoo to get anybody decent who's willing to put up with the treatment.

What he did was take back control of his own future, and is leaving on HIS terms instead of at the whim of UT.

UT's biggest problem is that they treated him and his family so poorly that they'll likely have to pay out the wazoo to get anybody decent who's willing to put up with the treatment.

Say whhhaaaaaaattt?

They did dump on him big time, but it was completely deserved IMO.

He underachieved every year and is leaving them with nothing.

I do think it was a smart move by him, as his stock will never be higher and there was a significant portion of the fanbase that didn't like him anyway.

Win-Win most likely.

Say whhhaaaaaaattt?

They did dump on him big time, but it was completely deserved IMO.

He underachieved every year and is leaving them with nothing.

I do think it was a smart move by him, as his stock will never be higher and there was a significant portion of the fanbase that didn't like him anyway.

Win-Win most likely.

I'm not sure you know how much their fan base really did to him and his family. His wife even got accosted out in public, and they threw Confederate flags out on his lawn.

I never thought he was a top coach either; but bottom line is he righted the ship pretty significantly by not only getting UT to the tourney but getting them to the Sweet 16.

They also just got a commitment from that 7'1" center Okoroh, who may not stick now.

What's even funnier, and I doubt he planned it this way, but he waited to resign until after Pearl had taken another job... had he left a couple weeks earlier UT might have still been able to make a play for rehiring him.

lolol He interviewed with Cal on UT's dime, too. What a douchebag. I don't even want to hear "but the fans were upset with him!!!111" as if that doesn't happen everywhere when a team underachieves 3 straight years.

Glad the douchebag is gone.

Smart move. He was the third winningest coach after Cal and then Donovan, and UT fans who have gone to the Elite 8 a grand total of once whine about expectations. I understand what he had on his roster, but he knew he was in a no win situation. Get while the gettins good and flip the Vols the bird doing it. I like it.

I'm not sure you know how much their fan base really did to him and his family. His wife even got accosted out in public, and they threw Confederate flags out on his lawn.

I never thought he was a top coach either; but bottom line is he righted the ship pretty significantly by not only getting UT to the tourney but getting them to the Sweet 16.

They also just got a commitment from that 7'1" center Okoroh, who may not stick now.

What's even funnier, and I doubt he planned it this way, but he waited to resign until after Pearl had taken another job... had he left a couple weeks earlier UT might have still been able to make a play for rehiring him.

OK, no one deserves that stuff.

Surprised they just didn't go with For Sale signs like everyone else does.

It's his fault preseason expectations were so low.

In a year like this one, that roster was Final Four caliber.

He wasn't wanted there and he didn't want to be there.

California is the only loser in any of this.

ETA: Okoroh already committed to Cal.

OK, no one deserves that stuff.

Surprised they just didn't go with For Sale signs like everyone else does.

It's his fault preseason expectations were so low.

In a year like this one, that roster was Final Four caliber.

He wasn't wanted there and he didn't want to be there.

California is the only loser in any of this.

ETA: Okoroh already committed to Cal.

Holy iaBdfkZ.png, that was fast; he was obviously committing to a coach and not a school.

Gregg Marshall?

I don't see him leaving Wichita unless it's the NBA or a blue blood.

What about Michael White or Archie Miller? They'll probably hire Howland

A good point was made on VN. This makes it pretty obvious he was never offered by Marquette. Hart called his bluff on that one.