• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GatorUnvrsty

Elite 8 And The SEC

55 posts in this topic

So, with Elite 8 games tipping off later, and with 2 more SEC teams making the Elite 8 again this year, despite the conference only getting 3 bids, I thought I'd provide some recent numbers for everyone to digest.

As usual, the SEC is the Rodney Dangerfield of college basketball; but nobody can say we don't make the most of our few chances.

As a matter of fact, you could say the SEC does more with less virtually every season; as we put far fewer teams in the tourney every year, but regularly see them go farther.

With 6 major conferences (7 this year because of the Big East split), the Elite 8 is a good round to measure conference success because it's the deepest round in which several conferences could conceivably place multiple teams.

Over the last 5 NCAA tournaments the SEC has received 19 bids. Of those 19 teams, 9 of them made the Elite 8 or better.

Compare that to the Big East, who has received by far the most bids and more than twice as many as the SEC, with 40. 7 of that 40 made the Elite 8 or better.

The B1G has received 31 bids and also sent 7 to the Elite 8 or better.

The Big 12 has received 30 bids and sent 5 to the Elite 8 or better.

The ACC has received 25 bids and sent 4 of them to the Elite 8 or better.

The Pac-12 has received the same number of bids as the SEC, with 19; but only sent 2 of them to the Elite 8 or better.

And the AAC (which just started this year after splitting with the BE) had 4 bids this year and sent 1 of them to the Elite 8.

Elite Eight-Bids (%)

SEC - 9-19 (.474)

AAC - 1-4 (.250)

Big 10 - 7-31 (.226)

Big East - 7-40 (.175)

Big 12 - 5-30 (.167)

ACC - 4-25 (.160)

Pac-12 - 2-19 (.105)

So, not only does the SEC have by far the best E8 to bids ratio, they flat had more teams make it that far period.

One might argue that the SEC is top-heavy, and that may be a fair assessment.

But one might also argue that those top SEC teams have the rest of the SEC teams to thank, in part, for making them competitive enough to have such successful NCAAT runs; and the rest of the SEC is obviously good enough to not only play with, but beat those top teams most seasons.

Anyway, we're flying our flag proudly again this year, and best of luck to the last 2 SEC teams for the remainder of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

We y'all heppers.

Till you're back up to snuff and joining in anyway... y'all were very close this year; straighten out that bizarre road problem and you're dancing plenty in coming years.

Can't believe I just read almost half of OP. Just gonna pull for 'tucky and hope you bastards pull it out.

What other sec team made the elite 8?

Can't believe I just read almost half of OP. Just gonna pull for 'tucky and hope you bastards pull it out.

What other sec team made the elite 8?

The #1 ranked and #1 overall seed that beat 'tucky 3 times this year.

The #1 ranked and #1 overall seed that beat 'tucky 3 times this year.

I'm guessing that may be Florida? Had no idea there were any other SEC basketball programs even ranked.

And btw - I didn't even realize you were the OP. I automatically assumed it was Puddin' since he's always so hopped up on bball. :D

How are the brackets set up? Is it a straight bracket, or revolving? As in the top winning seed always plays the lowest winning seed like in the NFL?

EDIT - Nevermind, I think I found the brackets.

I'm guessing that may be Florida? Had no idea there were any other SEC basketball programs even ranked.

And btw - I didn't even realize you were the OP. I automatically assumed it was Puddin' since he's always so hopped up on bball. :D

Actually we're the only ones ranked (#1 in both)... UK is unranked in the AP poll and #22 in the Coaches, although they're definitely playing better than their ranking in the tourney.

Spending most of this tournament in a bourbon and beer induced haze.

Cats should be playing the Vols tomorrow. Refs jobbed em at the end yesterday.

Not really. The refs were terrible for both teams

Not really. The refs were terrible for both teams

They were pretty horrendous all around, weren't they? :lol:

Charlie Sheen is on board

twinning1.jpg

LeBron tweeted out congrats as well.

While I like it, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We play Michigan tomorrow. Louisville was yesterday.

Posted · Hidden by Porcine, March 2, 2015 - No reason given · Report post

I think the real argument here is that no conference deserves more than about four bids. 7 or 8 bids? I don't think so.

Posted · Hidden by Porcine, March 2, 2015 - No reason given · Report post

They were pretty horrendous all around, weren't they? :lol:

The DII championship has been bad at times too.

I hate to piss in the cornflakes, but the SEC was absolute garbage in non conference play, and that includes Kentucky and Tennessee.

Based on early non conference play, all those other leagues have usually deserved the bids over anyone from the SEC.

Definitely a lame call at the end; it was the right call, but they never call those inside 10 seconds like that... they typically let 'em play it out.

Of course, had they called that out of bounds play correctly where Maymon quite obviously touched it last, that 50 million Americans saw in slo-mo and agreed on, they'd have never gotten to make that lame call at the end... I think UM was up 5 and would have been shooting foul shots on that in-bounds if called right.

I hate to piss in the cornflakes, but the SEC was absolute garbage in non conference play, and that includes Kentucky and Tennessee.

Based on early non conference play, all those other leagues have usually deserved the bids over anyone from the SEC.

Unfortunately, a whole lotta those teams didn't make their bones in OOC play, but by beating up their conferences.

Countless 1st and 2nd round exits among that group against supposedly inferior conferences... the most obviously overrated was the Big East and more specifically Georgetown, who bowed out early and often despite their reputation as one of the BE juggernauts.

Definitely a lame call at the end; it was the right call, but they never call those inside 10 seconds like that... they typically let 'em play it out.

Of course, had they called that out of bounds play correctly where Maymon quite obviously touched it last, that 50 million Americans saw in slo-mo and agreed on, they'd have never gotten to make that lame call at the end... I think UM was up 5 and would have been shooting foul shots on that in-bounds if called right.

Unfortunately, a whole lotta those teams didn't make their bones in OOC play, but by beating up their conferences.

Countless 1st and 2nd round exits among that group against supposedly inferior conferences... the most obviously overrated was the Big East and more specifically Georgetown, who bowed out early and often despite their reputation as one of the BE juggernauts.

Georgetown is the absolute worst.

They are afraid to fire JTIII because he'll sue them for racism of some sort.

Notre Dame were choke artists too.

Georgetown is the absolute worst.

They are afraid to fire JTIII because he'll sue them for racism of some sort.

Notre Dame were choke artists too.

I know, you could say it about several BE teams. The problem was that they had 16 teams in that conference, at a time when 12 was considered a lot, and because it was mostly considered a basketball conference, with many of the schools not even fielding DI-A football team, it was automatically assumed they were dominant in basketball even though a lot of their wins came from cannibalizing the bottom of their own conference and those wins were given more cred than was deserved.

Oh and congrats to Kentucky on their win yesterday.

Vandy's a tough baseball team,good win.

yep,

Congrats, Gators! Great game! Keep rolling!