• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PuddingTime

State Nicknames

73 posts in this topic

I've been watching Ken Burns Civil War Documentary and have been doing a lot of internet scouring. Came across this interesting tidbit: CSA soldiers nicknames. Georgia....I'll let you guys explain that one

Alabama - Yellow Hammers

Arkansas - Toothpicks

Florida - Gophers

Georgia - Goober Grabbers

Kentucky - Corn Crackers

Louisiana - Tigers

Mississippi - Sand Lappers

Missouri - Border Ruffians

North Carolina - Tar Heels

South Carolina - Rice Birds

Tennessee - Hog Drivers

Texas - Cowboys

Virginia - Tobacco Worms

The Arkansas toothpick was a civil war knife.

As far as goober grabber goes,I guess Richt screwed up there too...?

Goobers is another name for peanuts but the world changes words over time.

The tobacco worm sucked. Spent hundreds of thousand of dollars killing them during my life time. Same worm eats cotton bolls.

Goobers is another name for peanuts but the world changes words over time.

Have you ever eaten the boiled peanuts they sell on the way to the gulf?I've seen the signs but it didn't appeal to me.

I knew that and best I could figure one got its name from the other?

Have you ever eaten the boiled peanuts they sell on the way to the gulf?I've seen the signs but it didn't appeal to me.

Yes they are addicting. You will fart but it's worth it. Especially if an elevator is in your near future.

Edit nothing provokes a terror look from the ones who didn't fart like an elevator fart and it works in any language.

I guess in today's lingo a goober grabber would be a peanut picker.

Alabama is the Yellow Hammer because of the state bird and it rhymes well with give'em hell Alabamer.

Gohper Tortises you faggits.

Gopher Tortoises? What is that about?

Hell, any of y'all who are interested in this stuff, feel free to share your states story. Ours is easy, corn crackers are what they called folk in the mountains and hollers in Eastern Kentucky.

We're called "rice birds" because our militia was full of nothing but Asian women.

I may be wrong though.

Gopher Tortoises? What is that about?

Hell, any of y'all who are interested in this stuff, feel free to share your states story. Ours is easy, corn crackers are what they called folk in the mountains and hollers in Eastern Kentucky.

South Carolina became one of the richest colonies mainly because of rice production.

http://www.yale.edu/glc/gullah/02.htm

And I had assumed everyone knew why we were called the Palmetto State until I was at a football game a few years ago and an Auburn fan was making fun of SC about how stupid it was to have a palm tree on the flag when there are hardly any in the state. We're the palmetto state because when building the fort in Charleston to protect against British forces all that was available was palm trees. Probably seemed like a poor choice, but since the wood is rubbery and bendable the cannonballs didn't break through the wood, they just bounced off, and we beat that ass.

Yeah. Thats kind of changed over time too.

I have no interest in a "boiled peanut", but they are to be found. My Mom, who is from Georgia loves them boiled or roasted. I love p'butter, but peanuts? Not so much. Crazy I guess. :lol:

Boilt pnuts are the shiz.

Gopher Tortises live in the sandy soil in Florida. They dig holes and don't live in the water like most turtles.

People used to eat them all the time but now they are protected or something.

I will eat the hell out of some boiled peanuts, especially the kind we boil at home for football season.

I was a history major in school specializing in the last twenty years before the Civil War and yet have never seen this documentary. I should probably check it out. But Sand Lappers blows my mind. I associate Mississippi more with red clay than I do sand.

I will eat the hell out of some boiled peanuts, especially the kind we boil at home for football season.

How do you prepare them.Do you boil them and let them dry or what?

I always thought they'd be kinda slimy.

I like salted peanuts in a coke the best.

Don't let them dry, eat em warm!

Don't let them dry, eat em warm!

This. Boil them in some good salty water and eat them steaming out of the pot as soon as the actual nut part itself is tender. It's slimy sometimes, but boil okra is slimy all of the time, and I eat that too.

You can buy them dry straight out of the ground at almost any local supermarket, but my country cracker ass takes then home, rinses em and boils em. Add a little cajun shrimp boil if you want them hot

This. Boil them in some good salty water and eat them steaming out of the pot as soon as the actual nut part itself is tender. It's slimy sometimes, but boil okra is slimy all of the time, and I eat that too.

So they're soft?I didn't think about boiling them in salt,etc.Sounds pretty good.Must try now.