• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluelightstar

Proposed Rule Changes

Proposed Rule Changes   13 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye SEC brethren?

• Noble idea, good for the game
    • Pure garbage, hurts the game

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

458 posts in this topic

Surprised that there isn't already a thread about this (or maybe I'm overlooking it). The CFB Rules Committee is looking at two proposed rule changes:

1. The first rule would be altering the targeting penalty. If the targeting penalty is overturned, the 15-yard penalty is not still enforced.

2. Perhaps, more interestingly, alterations to the rules that allow HUNH offenses to gimmick their way down the field**. Defenses would be allowed 10 seconds to substitute and the offense could snap the ball starting at 29 seconds on the play clock. Snapping before the 10 seconds has elapsed would result in a delay of game penalty.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-rules-committee-slightly-adjusts-targeting-rule-defensive

Surprised that there isn't already a thread about this (or maybe I'm overlooking it). The CFB Rules Committee is looking at two proposed rule changes:

1. The first rule would be altering the targeting penalty. If the targeting penalty is overturned, the 15-yard penalty is not still enforced.

2. Perhaps, more interestingly, alterations to the rules that allow HUNH offenses to gimmick their way down the field**. Defenses would be allowed 10 seconds to substitute and the offense could snap the ball starting at 29 seconds on the play clock. Snapping before the 10 seconds has elapsed would result in a delay of game penalty.

http://www.ncaa.org/...-rule-defensive

1. Well this only makes sense, not sure what kind of dumbass thought it would work like that in the first place

2. Saban has more pull than i thought, leave it alone

http://www.ncaa.org/...-rule-defensive

Number 2 would kill the 2 minute drill... wait 10 seconds after every play... better throw it to the end zone every time that's your only shot.

Number 2 would kill the 2 minute drill... wait 10 seconds after every play... better throw it to the end zone every time that's your only shot.

Good point. They'd have to change it so that there would be no penalty when there's less than 2 minutes.

But I don't see them adopting that rule anyway....though I'd like them to.

Good point. They'd have to change it so that there would be no penalty when there's less than 2 minutes.

That's part of the rule. It wouldn't be a penalty in the last 2 minutes of either half.

The second one is dumb. Defenses need to adapt to HUNH by building stamina. I think that will also help limit the out of control size the players are becoming. If a 350 lb NT can't stay on field because the other team is running the whole game that is his problem. This would be like if the NCAA banned the press for men's basketball after the "40 mins of hell."

I think the second one is terrific :trollface:

It's not like most teams even snap it before 29 seconds anyways. They just rush up to the LOS, then stop and look to the sideline like meerkats for about 10 seconds... all while the D can't sub.

Prairie dogging at the line by the offense should be banned.I have no problem with a true HUNH offense.

This guy gets it. It's not the hurrying up to the LOS/fast pace that bothers me.

It's when the offensive players do this:

meerkat-pack-northern-kalahari-botswana.jpg

Saban has control over the whole iaBdfkZ.png, he pitched a fit about HUNH offenses and the league decided to make a change.

I think the second one is terrific :trollface:

It's not like most teams even snap it before 29 seconds anyways. They just rush up to the LOS, then stop and look to the sideline like meerkats for about 10 seconds... all while the D can't sub.

I think this is what they're trying to neutralize.No one seemed to complain about the true hurry up offense.

1. Should've been part of the rule in the first place

2. Dumb. This is just the next step in the evolution of football. Defenses adapted to the wishbone, the I formation, and eventually it'll adapt to the HUNH.

Although I agree about the prairie dog OL. Should be a false start penalty every time. If they're set they're set. I often wonder what the refs would call if the DL would jump in when the OL does that.

Well I like both naturally.

I don't think the 2nd one will go through, and lol @ Saban comments. :trollface:

The second one is dumb. Defenses need to adapt to HUNH by building stamina. I think that will also help limit the out of control size the players are becoming. If a 350 lb NT can't stay on field because the other team is running the whole game that is his problem. This would be like if the NCAA banned the press for men's basketball after the "40 mins of hell."

I don't want this rule to change but....Why do you think OL play the whole game and pretty much every team at every level have a rotation of about 12 DL? Or why recievers play every snap but CB are rotated?

The size of the players isn't the advantage the offense has the advantage by knowing what they're doing, where they're going, etc.

All I know of Saban complaining about is actually true. Most teams that don't run a HUNH run about 45-55 offensive plays a game whereas teams that do run it are shooting for 85-90 offensive plays.

That's an avg. of 25-35 more offensive plays a game... through a ten game season that's like playing 3-4 more games. So its only reasonable that there will be more injuries and players would be more tired.

I don't have a problem with it.... I think its chicken iaBdfkZ.png but if that's what you gotta do.. I just think they should do away with the prairie dogging when the offense sets that's it any move from there is a false start.

The prairie dogging has taken part of the game away...the qb doesn't have anything on his shoulders he doesn't have to know anything anymore. The coaches on the sidelines are reading the defense.

Cost us 2 fuqing games last year because of the 15 yard penalty standng. Change it or else.

Cost us 2 fuqing games last year because of the 15 yard penalty standng. Change it or else.

Agree. I know we had two occurrences (that I remember specifically watching) where a player was flagged for targeting and ejected, only to have the play reviewed and the ejection overturned. If it can be reviewed and the ejection overturned, it only makes sense that the flag be picked up and no penalty incurred. Makes no sense the way it works now.

As long as the 2-minute drill is safe (as it seems it will be), I have no problem with the other rule change either.

The committee also recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, starting with the 2014 season.

2 min drill will be safe.

Agree. I know we had two occurrences (that I remember specifically watching) where a player was flagged for targeting and ejected, only to have the play reviewed and the ejection overturned. If it can be reviewed and the ejection overturned, it only makes sense that the flag be picked up and no penalty incurred. Makes no sense the way it works now.

As long as the 2-minute drill is safe (as it seems it will be), I have no problem with the other rule change either.

Nope and not just Georgia, ive seen several teams fuqed over that way.

For instance, Ramik Wilson was called for target against fuqing Vandy on 4th down, flag was waived because it was a perfectly legal hit, yet they were given a first down.

Total bulliaBdfkZ.png, i cant even beleive its taken this long to change that dumbass rule.