• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noah

2014 college football prediction

146 posts in this topic

1. The top two spots are no surprise. Really, the No. 3 spot isn't, either. However, No. 4 caught me off-guard. South Carolina is a projections darling, with a lovely recent history, a healthy number of returning starters, and decent recruiting. The Gamecocks lead an outright MASS of teams projected between 249.0 and 253.0 (the difference between No. 3 and No. 4: 12.3 points; the difference between No. 4 and No. 11: 4.6 points), and a healthy number of returning starters (14 by Steele's count) pushes them over the edge for now. This is interesting because the eight starters they lose are almost the eight starters you could name right offhand. They'll return running back Mike Davis and a potentially awesome offensive line, but what they lose in star power, they make up for in sheer numbers. I'll be curious to see what happens to this projection when I take things like Draft Points (hello, Jadeveon) into account. A little bit of slippage could knock SC all the way out of the top 10. But for now, hello, No. 4.

2. Why yes, the SEC does have the No. 1, No. 4, No. 5, No. 7, No. 8, No. 12, No. 21, No. 26, No. 29, and No. 31 teams. Auburn and Missouri, last year's SEC title game participants, are projected sixth and 10th in the conference ... and are both in the top 31 overall.

3. UCLA is still getting held down by Rick Neuheisel. Even with a five-year history weighted heavily in favor of the last couple of seasons, the Bruins still come in only 43 in that figure. They should finish closer to fourth (the Returning Starters projection) than 43rd. Meanwhile, Boise State is the anti-UCLA, still ranking fourth overall in weighted 5-year history because of the awesomeness of 2009-11.

4. Top three projected teams in each conference:

* AAC: UCF (No. 24), Houston (No. 41), Cincinnati (No. 54)

* ACC: Florida State (No. 2), Clemson (No. 14), Louisville (No. 20)

* Big 12: Oklahoma (No. 9), Oklahoma State (No. 16), Baylor (No. 25)

* Big Ten: Ohio State (No. 10), Michigan State (No. 13), Wisconsin (No. 19)

* Conference USA: Marshall (No. 59), UTSA (No. 75), Rice (No. 88)

* MAC: NIU (No. 51), Toledo (No. 53), Bowling Green (No. 60)

* MWC: Boise State (No. 18), Fresno State (No. 46), Nevada (No. 62)

* Pac-12: Oregon (No. 3), Stanford (No. 6), USC (No. 11)

* SEC: Alabama (No. 1), South Carolina (No. 4), LSU (No. 5)

* Sun Belt: UL-Lafayette (No. 79), Arkansas State (No. 84), South Alabama (No. 92)

In Phil Steele parlance, I'm using THREE SETS OF POWER RANKINGS. Below are the projections. (NOTE: By the time the FO Almanac rolls around, we'll have come up with rough projections for the FBS newbies -- Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Old Dominion -- but for now these are just the FBS teams that were also FBS teams last year.)

2014 College football rankings: Initial S&P+ Projections - Football Study Hall

Arkansas wins a conference game.

Gotta start somewhere.There's a possibility we can be pretty competitive this season.

Iron out our qb troubles and stiffen up our secondary and linebackers and we could ruin a season or two for someone.

I want to win the first game and go from there.

Tennessee will beat usce again this year....

y'all have the toughest schedule that is possible

starting out against Auburn then Bama then aTm with Texas tech thrown in that mix is BRUTAL

Hope you find a way to beat the Aggies in that opening stretch...

USC will be as good as ever. This won't help muschamp. He must beat either them or ga for job security

USC will be as good as ever. This won't help muschamp. He must beat either them or ga for job security

Lulz

I really dont put too much in way too early preseason rankings. Our offense will be dominant no question. I am finally excited to see our defense take the field. We finally cleaned house and brought in some very good coaches who all have their specialty. Not to mention some damn find defensive talent just yearning to be developed.

Pruitt will have his hands full with this defense, but I've got all the confidence in the world he can get the job done.

Tennessee will beat usce again this year....

God luck with that, but don't forget we get home field advantage this season!

I really dont put too much in way too early preseason rankings. Our offense will be dominant no question. I am finally excited to see our defense take the field. We finally cleaned house and brought in some very good coaches who all have their specialty. Not to mention some damn find defensive talent just yearning to be developed.

Pruitt will have his hands full with this defense, but I've got all the confidence in the world he can get the job done.

"Our offense will be dominant no question"

You do realize you are returning only 5 starters on offense and replacing the QB? If your offense is dominant it will be because the TEN returning starters on defense, now with a real DC, is giving the offense the ball after every three plays and a punt.

Not to be that guy, but this was the same thing said when Grantham was hired. UGA has never lacked talent, but for whatever reason your defensive guys crap the bed way too much.

Who?

• Auburn - nope
  • A & M - nope
  • Alabama - nope
  • Georgia - nope
  • Miss State - is this the one you may win?
  • LSU - nope
  • Ole Miss - nope
  • Mizzou - nope

I'm kinda nervous about the 2014 team. They'll be good, but if they slip up against A&M and UGA our season could be over before it starts. I expect we'll beat one of them though, and if we beat both we'll be president.

"Our offense will be dominant no question"

You do realize you are returning only 5 starters on offense and replacing the QB? If your offense is dominant it will be because the TEN returning starters on defense, now with a real DC, is giving the offense the ball after every three plays and a punt.

You forget we still have a man... a man by the name of Todd Gurley.

And wrong. We return two lineman, Gurley and Marshall, WR's Chris Conley, Malcolm Mitchell, and Justin Scott Wesley. 1,2,3 receivers. Mason will have some growing pains for sure, but Gurley makes life much easier for a new QB.

I agree though. The defense (hopefully) will get the offense the ball more than last year. Time will tell but I'm excited to see the defense. Maybe i wont cringe when i see 3rd and 4 or less.

Not to be that guy, but this was the same thing said when Grantham was hired. UGA has never lacked talent, but for whatever reason your defensive guys crap the bed way too much.

Sad but so GD true. However Pruitt is lightyears better or a coach than Grantham is and the players hated Grantham. Pruitt and his new staff WILL do a hell of alot better job than Grantham did. I hear you though. Same ole story different year. At least im consistent. Lol

Pruitt > Grantham but that faggot has only been a DC for 1 season.

Pruitt > Grantham but that faggot has only been a DC for 1 season.

Hey, way I look at it. Hes 1/1 on Natty's Lol

Vernon Hargreaves III will win defensive player of the year.

For Georgia. I fully intend on Kidnapping him and administering electro shock therapy to wipe his memories for the last year.

Georgia will be Georgia and underachieve again with immense talent

• TheRealBrave
      I can safely say it is impossible for a QB to have a sluggish start vs. Georgia right now
    • L.A.Hog
      No one with a family and common sense want trump to destroy this country....
    • TheRealBrave
      Something that bothered me was Lester Holt being Hillary's personal fact checker and attempting to correct Trump consistently. He didn't jump on her for lying when she denied saying TPP is the gold standard of trade deals. It is plain as day that she said it, and relatively recently.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpLQzeCoNnA&app=desktop
    • Mizzou_Fan
      So now we'll move on to LSU and Tennessee. 
    • Flea
      LSU is the only Power 5 team in a state with a tiny population compared to Texas.  LSU and Bama made out like bandits by bringing in A&M.  And to show how autonomous LSU is, wasn't their recent change decided at ULL game?   Houston?  A serious multi-year threat?  With their pack 45,000 seat stadium and limited funds?   They flash every few decades. They won't keep TH that long.   tu?  Can't compete with the SEC brand.  TCU and Baylor?  Self-destruct at least once per 20 years.   
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    4. 4
      razorhead