Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adfalcon

2015 Rebel Football Recruiting

128 posts in this topic

He had a quote the other day practically begging freeze to coach at Florida. I imagine he will be a gator regardless. But he apparently loves freeze

I saw this as well.

I try not to be a star gazer but that's pretty cool

I try not to be a star gazer but that's pretty cool

im a star gazer through and through

its damn cool

im a star gazer through and through

its damn cool

According to regular 247 ranking, 9 of our 15 commits are 4 stars.

Why did they feel the need to throw that last sentence in there? Lol. He was ejected for targeting in a game. Oh no. What are we to do

I know right. I murdered people in high school on the football field. What schitty jab.

I know right. I murdered people in high school on the football field. What schitty jab.

We had a guy break a dudes ankle on purpose. With his hands. No flag

We had a guy break a dudes ankle on purpose. With his hands. No flag

that is phucked up.

I'm talking about ear hole shots, leaving the ground and just t-boning people, hits. I mean the worst would be someone waking up with their face covered in snot bubbles.

Gabe Angel, a 2016 4 star, just committed. Not gonna add him to the OP since he is class of 2016 but that's a huge huge get.

Christ our 2016 class is gonna be absolutely insane

It's fantastic that 3 OL are committed; assuming they stick to their commits, I might have to tone down my calls for Matt Luke to GTFO, assuming he develops them.

*Note the two "assumes"

2016 recruiting class will be the best in Ole Miss history, better than the 2013 class.

Now that the Hugh Freeze saga is over and we know he is staying at Ole Miss for Year No. 4 and beyond, the focus shifts to recruiting.

Ole Miss is putting the finishing touches on its 2015 recruiting class. There's no position more critical than offensive line, where the Rebels already have commitments from Drew Richmond, Javon Patterson and Alex Givens. Ole Miss is still working a pair of offensive linemen, one in the junior college ranks and one from the high school ranks.

Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College offensive tackle Martinas Rankin took another visit to Ole Miss for the Egg Bowl and once again came away impressed, though he did not give the Rebels a verbal commitment.

"It was a really good game," Rankin said. "It was exactly what I thought it would be."

Rankin said his recruiting is going well. He plans to visit Mississippi State this weekend and either Florida or Kentucky on Dec. 14. Rankin said no school leads for his signature at this point.

"It's going to come down to how I fit in the program and where my heart tells me to go," Rankin said.

Ole Miss is also recruiting Hernando, Miss., offensive lineman Matt Womack, who also took in the Egg Bowl and then entertained offensive line coach Matt Luke at his home. Ole Miss, according to sources, feels increasingly better about its chances to land Womack. I'm not sure if the Rebels would take both Rankin and Womack, though it's difficult to see a scenario where Freeze and Luke turn down an offensive lineman who could help, whether it be in the short term or long term.

The sexier storyline, at least as it pertains to Ole Miss' recruiting efforts, is the Rebels' decision(s) at the quarterback position. Ole Miss already has a commitment from New Iberia, La., product Jason Pellerin, and while LSU is kicking the tires on Pellerin, there's no sign that he's about to bail on the Rebels.

Ole Miss might, however, decide to add a junior college quarterback to the mix. There are two options. One is East Mississippi Community College standout Chad Kelly, who has been on and off the Rebels' radar for months. Another is Arizona Western College's Trent Hosick, who just popped up on Ole Miss' list of potential options this week. (Check the front page of RebelGrove.com for the full story on Hosick and the Rebels' recruiting of him).

There have been rumblings for the past week or so that Ole Miss would offer Kelly. That decision, per sources, is still being made. As of late Tuesday, Kelly had not received an Ole Miss offer. Virginia Tech appears to lead for his services, but several sources have indicated an Ole Miss offer would change things dramatically. Two sources have been emphatic; if Ole Miss offers, they've said, Kelly would sign with the Rebels. The situation with Hosick, obviously, is intertwined with Kelly's recruitment. It's also possible the Rebels will be satisfied with Ryan Buchanan, DeVante Kincade, Kendrick Doss and Pellerin, though there appears to be momentum building towards adding a veteran signal-caller to the mix.

Going into the Egg Bowl weekend, Ole Miss, according to sources, felt like it was behind in the race for Yazoo City, Miss., defensive lineman Gabriel Campbell. After the weekend, however, there is a sense among those close to the program that the Rebels now lead Mississippi State. Another source told me earlier this week the Rebels will sign the 6-foot-6, 250-pounder.

Ole Miss also really helped itself with East Mississippi Community College defensive tackle/Florida State commitment D.J. Jones. Jones took an official visit over the weekend and, according to sources, gave off very positive vibes. The Rebels need someone to step in quickly and replace Bryon Bennett, who has had a strong senior season, and Jones fits the bill.

It also appears the Rebels are in "great shape" in the race for North Potomoc, Md., four-star defensive lineman Adam McLean. The Rivals250 standout has offers from virtually everyone. He took an official visit to Washington State last weekend and will visit Ole Miss on Jan. 17.

I suspect I know the question you're asking at this point: Would Ole Miss take all three of Campbell, Jones and McLean if it could secure their commitments? I asked that same question and it was answered affirmatively by a source close to the program.

In other words, there will be attrition. That's just how it works. Further, I suspect there will be some fluidity (some of you loved that so much during the Freeze saga; I thought I'd break it out again today for your enjoyment. You're welcome) in the Rebels' commitment class as well. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if Olive Branch, Miss., linebacker Fred Walls, who committed to Ole Miss last Dec. 17, did not sign with the Rebels in February. We'll see.

Nashville, Tenn., defensive end Kyle Phillips tweeted out a photo of himself last week decked head to toe in Ole Miss gear. It apparently wasn't just a revelation that he has an affinity for red and blue. The Rivals250 standout, per sources, is very much back in Ole Miss' corner, so to speak, following a few weeks of heavy flirtation with Tennessee.

The Rebels are also in great shape for Rivals100 wide receiver DaMarkus Lodge. One source said it's just "a matter of time" before Lodge gives the Rebels his verbal commitment. Speaking of wide receivers who can play, and simply as an aside, the Ole Miss staff is very high on redshirt wide receiver Dayall Harris. He's drawn some comparisons inside the program to Laquon Treadwell, though sources are quick to point out that Treadwell was a more polished product at this stage than Harris is. He's expected to make a major impact next season. Harris and cornerbacks Tee Shepard and Tony Bridges (committed, will enroll in January) are all candidates to return punts next season as well.

I frequently am asked about Ole Miss' running backs situation. The Rebels have a commitment from Rivals100 running back Eric Swinney. They love him. He's the only running back in this class. It will stay that way, per sources.

Five-star defensive end CeCe Jefferson remains atop the Rebels' ultimate wish list. The longer there is uncertainty at Florida, a source close to the Ole Miss program told me, the better the Rebels' chances are. Alabama is not the factor many believe the Tide to be in the race for Jefferson's coveted signature. Florida, unless the Gators really screw things up, will ultimately be difficult to beat. However, Ole Miss has a puncher's chance.

Aledo, Texas, wide receiver Ryan Newsome will take his fifth and final official visit this weekend when he travels to Texas. Newsome will have seen the Longhorns, Ole Miss, UCLA, Oklahoma and Tennessee by the end of the weekend. I don't sense an incredible level of optimism in Ole Miss circles about Newsome, but the Rebels like him a lot and would take him if he wants to come.

The same holds true, really, for Indianapolis four-star linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. He'll visit Texas this weekend as well before making a decision. Kirkland will have visited Texas, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Tennessee and USC when he leaves Austin on Sunday. Sources in the Rivals network believe the Sooners lead with Tennessee and Ole Miss having puncher's chances. Again, if Kirkland calls Freeze to commit, rest assured the Rebels accept his commitment giddily.

Speaking of linebackers, the Rebels are still recruiting Murfreesboro, Tenn., four-star/Vanderbilt commitment Josh Smith. The Rebels are gaining some traction there and could bring him in for an official visit.

The Rebels are also trying to get a visit from St. Petersburg, Fla., four-star wide receiver Ryan Davis. Ole Miss has a lot of ground to make up for Davis, who has a laundry list of offers.

Ole Miss appears done with Arkansas commitment Will Gragg and Mississippi State commitment Fletcher Adams. Neither player appears inclined to change his mind.

Even though the Rebels can only bring in 20-22 players in the fall, they can sign 25. Look for a couple of sign-and-place situations in February. A couple of candidates hail from Louisiana - Reserve two-star defensive end Joe Anderson and Ruston defensive end Isaiah Buggs. (Note: I'm willing to bet I played high school football with Buggs' father; man, I'm getting old.)

- Neal McCready, RebelGrove

So we got a commitment from JUCO 3* LB Terry Caldwell. His commitment was a bit of a surprise considering he had little interest in us and only one visit, but we'll take what we can get.

Sorry I was gone yesterday.

But yes! Chad Kelly committed! Natty here we come! Woohoo

​please don't be a cancer in the locker room

We are kind of sucking right now. Tennessee is kicking our butts

We are kind of sucking right now. Tennessee is kicking our butts

Our staff isn't trying for Ugo Amadi at this point, we're letting Tennessee snag him

Our staff isn't trying for Ugo Amadi at this point, we're letting Tennessee snag him

We need Phillips though.

Payboard is buzzing about DJ jones flipping from FSU to us.

Doesn't officially announce until 11 but it's as good as done.

JUCO signing day, will update throughout the day.

Players we have so far gotten a signature from:

Tony Bridges

Terry Caldwell

Chad Kelly

DJ Jones