• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noah

NFL to eliminate extra point after TD

19 posts in this topic

Why not move the extra point to the 40 yard line? More teams would elect to go for two points.

Yeah, I'm not too sure I like the idea of doing away with the PAT.

Pretty sure they said they were only considering eliminating it, among other options. Nothing concrete last I heard, which was 2 minutes ago.

NFL kickers had over 99% rate of PATs. I kind of like it. Touchdowns are worth 7 and you are given the option to gamble 1 point to gain an additional point by converting a try.

I like the idea.

Either take the 7 or risk losing a point. The PAT is pointless, at least this way we would actually care to watch right after someone scores.

Dumbass idea. If they did that it would basically make getting to the 30 yard line twice just as good as getting into the endzone once.

I'd love to mention the ole' XFL!

Their PAT rules were exciting by the time the playoffs showed up.. here is an excerpt from Wiki.

No PAT (point after touchdown) kicks

After touchdowns there were no extra point kicks, due to the XFL's perception that an extra point kick was a "guaranteed point." To earn a point after a touchdown, teams ran a single offensive down from the two-yard line (functionally identical to the NFL/NCAA/CFL two-point conversion), but for just a single point. By the playoffs, two-point and three-point conversions had been added to the rules. Teams could opt for the bonus points by playing the conversion farther back from the goal line.

This rule, as originally implemented, was similar to the WFL's "Action Point," and was identical to a 1968 experiment by the NFL and American Football League, used only in preseason interleague games that year.

Leave it alone. NFL is getting absurd with its meddling.

I say keep it but push it back 20 yards. Provide more incentive to go for two.

This is no different than changes to pitching that baseball has gone through over the years. Preserve the basic rules but make minor changes to keep it competitive.

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Yup. "considering it".

No more coin tosses. Too boring. Just put the ball at midfield and have two players scramble/dive after it like they did with the XFL!!!11!1! The jersey-wearing fans in the crowd would love it.

Though the success rate of extra points is high,the human element,Romo,can win or lose a game.

Bad snaps,holds,slips,etc are always possible at the most pressure packed moments.

Leave the game alone.

No more coin tosses. Too boring. Just put the ball at midfield and have two players scramble/dive after it like they did with the XFL!!!11!1! The jersey-wearing fans in the crowd would love it.

That's called steal the bacon.

Put it on the hash of the side of the field they score on. Still should be a gimme, but more like 97%.

The 20 would be interesting just because so many spotting yardlines in the nfl are arbitrary.

Touchback 20

Safety 20

Extra point 3

Kickoff 35 30 35 40 whatever it is now.

Kickoff goes out of the rndzone 20, out at the 1 March it up to the 63.

Just make them all the 20 n be consistent.