• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GATORSFAN21

Doug Nussmeier to Michigan.

42 posts in this topic

I'm oddly ambivalent.

His playcalling was very erratic at times--he pretty much cost us the A&M game last year when he abandoned the running game with 1st and goal from the 4. But he still got great play out of AJ.

We'll see who Saban comes up with. Too bad Petrino's off the table now.. ;)

I think many Alabama fans are not particularly opposed to losing Nuss.

Is Kiffin the favorite for Bama's new OC?

He was in Tuscaloosa ~3 weeks ago, which is why people think he might be in the mix.

I've never been sold on him as an OC, though. He was a great QB coach, but the talent he had could make anyone look good. See Nussmeier for the last two years as an example.

No favorites yet. As a QB coach it's tough to see him go, as an OC I'm not too upset, but he was really good. I think compared to McElwain I was more impressed with the timing of play calls. The anticipation of blitzs with screen passes and the timing of play actions, McElwain was just more consistent.

I wish him the best of luck, excited to see what kind of offense Alabama goes forward with.

[]

kiffin spent a few days in t-town looking at film etc. in an 'advisory role'.... i think nussmeier was quoted as saying it's good to get outside opinions. some bama fans on the board i read that on were a little nervous about why Saban would have someone in like that. they were wondering if maybe nuss wasn't leaving. that was before the bowl game. that's the only thing i have heard.

I'm okay with Nuss moving on. He had his moments, but I wasn't overly impressed with his play calling.

I appreciate it coach Nuss we'll holla..

Really not upset by this.

Rick Neuheisel and Mike Groh are names that are popping up as well.

Rick Neuheisel and Mike Groh are names that are popping up as well.

I would be pretty excited about Neuheisel, no doubt. Would fill in the QB coach vacancy very well.

Totally okay with Nuss leaving, never forgave him for the A&M game last year (or 2 depending on how you look at it). He never utilized all the talent we had, his play calling was very questionable and maybe I'm old school but when the run game is working you stick with it, he tried to get a little too cute. Also, considering Kiffin came in to consult before the bowl game this makes me wonder if Nuss was either 1. on the hot seat or 2. Nuss was already looking for other positions and he alerted Saban. Personally, I'm excited about a new OC. Hopefully whomever it is can bring a fresh look to an offense that has quickly become predictable despite the talent we have.

My favorite candidates? The guy who gives Henry plenty of touches and Howard plenty of targets next year.

I liked Nussmeier's playcalling more than McElwain so I hate to see him leave. However, Saban now has an unique opportunity to find the perfect coach for a brand new QB.

It's time to think outside of the box.

[]

kiffin spent a few days in t-town looking at film etc. in an 'advisory role'.... i think nussmeier was quoted as saying it's good to get outside opinions. some bama fans on the board i read that on were a little nervous about why Saban would have someone in like that. they were wondering if maybe nuss wasn't leaving. that was before the bowl game. that's the only thing i have heard.

Reports are that Kiffin is interviewing for the position today; Cecil Hurt tweeted that a hire is expected in 48 hours.

Not exactly sold on Kiffin, even less sold on Rich Neuheisel, whose name has also come up.

Reports are that Kiffin is interviewing for the position today; Cecil Hurt tweeted that a hire is expected in 48 hours.

Not exactly sold on Kiffin, even less sold on Rich Neuheisel, whose name has also come up.

Even less on Neuheisel? Less than Kiffin? Well hell Neuheisel is a great QB coach, both are suspect play callers I would have to say.

I guess we'll have to see, but like I said in the other thread I trust Saban's judgement.

I would be pretty excited about Neuheisel, no doubt. Would fill in the QB coach vacancy very well.

don't be, he's an expert at getting institutions into a lot of trouble.

I know. I'm from Boulder.

don't be, he's an expert at getting institutions into a lot of trouble.

I know. I'm from Boulder.

Means nothing really, we'll teach him how to cheat better here, naturally. :trollface:

Means nothing really, we'll teach him how to cheat better here, naturally. :trollface:

The SEC's problem with Alabama today is the Tide doesn't need to cheat anymore.

Who's the favorite to land the starting job at Bama next year? Bateman?

do you think saban called in a favor for nussmeyer instead of letting him go?

Totally okay with Nuss leaving, never forgave him for the A&M game last year (or 2 depending on how you look at it). He never utilized all the talent we had, his play calling was very questionable and maybe I'm old school but when the run game is working you stick with it, he tried to get a little too cute. Also, considering Kiffin came in to consult before the bowl game this makes me wonder if Nuss was either 1. on the hot seat or 2. Nuss was already looking for other positions and he alerted Saban. Personally, I'm excited about a new OC. Hopefully whomever it is can bring a fresh look to an offense that has quickly become predictable despite the talent we have.

My favorite candidates? The guy who gives Henry plenty of touches and Howard plenty of targets next year.

Sounds like the key to success to me. I loved watching both of them this year. They're gonna keep getting better, imo.

• PuddingTime
      He's definitely earning his check.  I've watched all of y'alls games this year and it just seemed like Tennessee was either playing to their competition or wasn't on the same page or I don't know what....spurts of really great football and then spurts of what the hell?   The difference this year is y'all have been able to overcome those things early in the season.  I think this win is going to be the galvanized game that takes y'all to Atlanta as much as it pains me to say it.
    • Titans4Vols
      What he was good at doing this past off-season is hiring Bob Shoop. I had the incredible pleasure of watching John Chavis coordinate our defense for over a decade here, and Bob Shoop brings me memories of Chavis' defenses. So good at halftime adjustments. How many DCs in this game can gameplan to overcome losing 3 of their top 4 players, when those 3 will all be drafted in the first two rounds?(Sutton and JRM this upcoming draft, and Kirkland whenever he decides to leave) If Shoop isn't one of the top candidates for the Broyles award(top assistant coach in college football) so far, the award is a sham.
    • PuddingTime
      Joe is actually Freddie Mercury? 
    • DjCrenshaw
      Swamp donkey ain't no good
    • smokeyone
      Look Joe you made twitter   https://twitter.com/saaadurday/status/779807819704827904/photo/1
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    2. 2
      PuddingTime
      PuddingTime
    3. 3
      bbqit
      bbqit
    4. 4
      RammaJamma