• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adfalcon

James Franklin rumored to be top candidate for Penn State job if O'Brien leaves.

67 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307240/article/report-vandys-james-franklin-atop-penn-state-list

"If Penn State loses coach Bill O'Brien to the Houston Texans or any other NFL coaching vacancy, the Nittany Lions would have Vanderbilt coach James Franklin atop their list of potential replacements,according to pennlive.com.

Like O'Brien, Franklin also is expected to draw interest from the NFL ranks. But according to the report, Penn State already is compiling a short list of coaching targets in anticipation of a move by O'Brien. A report from NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport also suggested Sunday that Penn State Director of Athletics Dave Joyner could fly to Tampa as early as today to meet with Greg Schiano, who was fired as coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Schiano was linked to the open Penn State job two years ago before the job went to O'Brien, and Schiano took the job in Tampa Bay.Franklin has led the Commodores to three bowl appearances in his first three years at the school, including this year in the BBVA Compass Bowl against Houston on Jan. 4. He also helped the program post back-to-back wins over in-state rival Tennessee for the first time since the 1920s.

Franklin grew up in the Philadelphia area, and Joyner is said to be impressed with Franklin.

Franklin has declined to comment on job openings at both Southern Cal and Texas by giving awkward, non-responsive answers to any questions about his coaching future."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000307240/article/report-vandys-james-franklin-atop-penn-state-list

"If Penn State loses coach Bill O'Brien to the Houston Texans or any other NFL coaching vacancy, the Nittany Lions would have Vanderbilt coach James Franklin atop their list of potential replacements,according to pennlive.com.

Like O'Brien, Franklin also is expected to draw interest from the NFL ranks. But according to the report, Penn State already is compiling a short list of coaching targets in anticipation of a move by O'Brien. A report from NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport also suggested Sunday that Penn State Director of Athletics Dave Joyner could fly to Tampa as early as today to meet with Greg Schiano, who was fired as coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Schiano was linked to the open Penn State job two years ago before the job went to O'Brien, and Schiano took the job in Tampa Bay.Franklin has led the Commodores to three bowl appearances in his first three years at the school, including this year in the BBVA Compass Bowl against Houston on Jan. 4. He also helped the program post back-to-back wins over in-state rival Tennessee for the first time since the 1920s.

Franklin grew up in the Philadelphia area, and Joyner is said to be impressed with Franklin.

Franklin has declined to comment on job openings at both Southern Cal and Texas by giving awkward, non-responsive answers to any questions about his coaching future."

Uhhhhhhh......NO! It will be Mark Richt and I know this because I have zero source material to quote.

won't be franklin. I don't blame franklin for the mess he had to deal with right before the season. getting into vandy doesn't mean you are smart all the time and he had some kids prove that. yet I can't see penn st taking him since it occurred under his watch. any other school I wouldn't mention this as why but penn st had too big a problem.

After what Penn st went through, I don't think they want a loud mouth coach hollering look at me look what I did after every game..

Franklin will likely get a look but I think they want Schiano.

That'll be weird now that Rutgers is gonna play in the B10

It would very likely be a bad move for Franklin. I spent 6 years in Happy Vally, and it is one of the most overtly racist places I've ever been. Blacks not on athletic scholarship are few and far between.

Nope. He is more likely to be subpoenaed than offered a new job. Be good lord his agent is trying to get him out of Vandy.

It would very likely be a bad move for Franklin. I spent 6 years in Happy Vally, and it is one of the most overtly racist places I've ever been. Blacks not on athletic scholarship are few and far between.

Pretty much every northern non metropolitan areas. Segregation was never challenged in new england.

hmmmm..

Pretty much every northern non metropolitan areas. Segregation was never challenged in new england.

It seems like places up north nowadays are more racist than places down south. I know a black friend that said he has received 10X the amount of racist comments up north than down south, and that's when he grew up in the south and only took northern trips for school s--t.

That'll be weird now that Rutgers is gonna play in the B10

No more so than Saban going from LSU to Bama by way of Miami.

Texas, Penn State, Cleveland Brown , Nashville Preds.....oh yes you SEC fans are only wishing and hoping that he leaves so CJF will not be able to kick that A$$ each Fall......LOL UT fans guess what....HE ain't going nowhere

CJF tooo smart of a coach to go into the messes at Texas or Penn State.....pay is no question at Vandy ....you would be very surprised his pay at Vandy....made more than the Penn State coach did this year or the UT Vol coach did last season:)

Texas, Penn State, Cleveland Brown , Nashville Preds.....oh yes you SEC fans are only wishing and hoping that he leaves so CJF will not be able to kick that A$$ each Fall......LOL UT fans guess what....HE ain't going nowhere

CJF tooo smart of a coach to go into the messes at Texas or Penn State.....pay is no question at Vandy ....you would be very surprised his pay at Vandy....made more than the Penn State coach did this year or the UT Vol coach did last season:)

James Franklin doesn't worry me in the least bit, we will kick that ass in Nashville again next year. Just reporting what I am hearing.

Hogan brings up a good point.Coaches are making enough money now that if they are happy where they are it's hard to lure them away.And agents throwing their names around gets them more money.

Schools need to think hard before firing coaches these days because the good ones seem to be staying put.

Franklin has a happy fanbase who understand their limitations and with the money he's most likely bringing in I wouldn't blame him for staying.A whole lot less pressure for the money IMO.

Hogan brings up a good point.Coaches are making enough money now that if they are happy where they are it's hard to lure them away.And agents throwing their names around gets them more money.

Schools need to think hard before firing coaches these days because the good ones seem to be staying put.

Franklin has a happy fanbase who understand their limitations and with the money he's most likely bringing in I wouldn't blame him for staying.A whole lot less pressure for the money IMO.

Hog , you understand what I've been saying....CJF can be the Vandy coach for life and is already making over 4M at Vandy. Why leave, he wants to be the legend at Vandy. Penn State and Texas already have their legends....Vandy doesn't....here lies his why he will be staying. I'd say 75% he is staying 25% leaving. He is a rock star in Nashville....biggest and best city in the SEC!

James Franklin doesn't worry me in the least bit, we will kick that ass in Nashville again next year. Just reporting what I am hearing.

We shall see...can't wait

Hog , you understand what I've been saying....CJF can be the Vandy coach for life and is already making over 4M at Vandy. Why leave, he wants to be the legend at Vandy. Penn State and Texas already have their legends....Vandy doesn't....here lies his why he will be staying. I'd say 75% he is staying 25% leaving. He is a rock star in Nashville....biggest and best city in the SEC!

Everywhere I have seen it estimated, because its a private school and don't publish his salary, it been in the 2.8-3.0 range for last year. Vandy has a lackluster fan base and will never compete for an sec east much less sec much less BCS title. And his agent is pimping him to every open job out there. He has reached the pinnacle of what he can do with Vandy and if he stays it will be a function of the black cloud hanging over him(team rape case) more so than a desire to be there. He, even if the vandy fan base doesn't, understands the difference between beating down or injured teams and being a contender.

I am not afraid of Franklin. Vandy being up has more to do with the East being down than anything

The only thing that will happen if he stays will be his reputation crashing down around him

Everywhere I have seen it estimated, because its a private school and don't publish his salary, it been in the 2.8-3.0 range for last year. Vandy has a lackluster fan base and will never compete for an sec east much less sec much less BCS title. And his agent is pimping him to every open job out there. He has reached the pinnacle of what he can do with Vandy and if he stays it will be a function of the black cloud hanging over him(team rape case) more so than a desire to be there. He, even if the vandy fan base doesn't, understands the difference between beating down or injured teams and being a contender.

Bro...you wrong on all points....stick to UT football and losing. Leave Vandy football to Hogan....we are winners!

I am not afraid of Franklin. Vandy being up has more to do with the East being down than anything

The only thing that will happen if he stays will be his reputation crashing down around him

UT fans are all so stupid....East being down, does that include UT also? LOL ....Or could it be just Vandy better??? Well Duhhhhh LOL UT Fans, your football program sucks, only SEC team in the past 6 years to Not win a bowl game....LOL LOL

Don't talk s--t to a team who has owed you for the past two years!!! We own the state now UT.....and next year you got to play back in Nashvegas....LOL LOL 41-18 14-10

UT fans are all so stupid....East being down, does that include UT also? LOL ....Or could it be just Vandy being better??? Well Duhhhhh LOL UT Fans, your football program sucks, only SEC team in the past 6 years to Not win a bowl game....LOL LOL

Don't talk s--t to a team who has owed you for the past two years!!! We own the state now UT.....and next year you got to play back in Nashvegas....LOL LOL 41-18 14-10

The refs handed you this year's game with that bulls--t spot

Florida sucks, Georgia sucks, and UT sucks...it won't stay like that. We're just keeping your 6th place spot warm for you

Bro...you wrong on all points....stick to UT football and losing. Leave Vandy football to Hogan....we are winners!

You honestly think jimmy is the second highest paid coach in the sec?

The refs handed you this year's game with that bulls--t spot

Florida sucks, Georgia sucks, and UT sucks...it won't stay like that. We're just keeping your 6th place spot warm for you

Oh...OK got ya...that is what you said last year and will be saying after next year!!! I know the character of some of those big name recruits you are getting out of Mid Tennessee and they will keep UT at the bottom of the SEC East.....remember that UT QB who threw beer cans at cars....get ready for more of that type character....LOL.....SEC East #6 for life....UT