• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GatorNation

UF to hire Duke OC

96 posts in this topic

...Kurt Roper according to ESPN sources, which (according to the stats) means there were only 48 better candidates.

Duke uses Cutcliffe's offense, so I really have no idea what their OC even does...if he can call plays like Cutcliffe/has learned well from him, you may have something.

He's the water boy, but Florida is hot, so it's a smart investment.

means there were only 48 better candidates.

Says who?

Duke uses Cutcliffe's offense, so I really have no idea what their OC even does...if he can call plays like Cutcliffe/has learned well from him, you may have something.

He's called the plays at Duke for the past 3 years (Duke's Offense broke spurrier's school records last season), been learning under cutliffe since 2008 as well as being the associate head coach, he was also the playcaller and QB coach at Ole Miss when Manning was there.

As well as being a Broyles award finalist? I'm not saying it's a home run hire but the last guy we stole from duke worked out I guess.....

Says who?

As well as being a Broyles award finalist? I'm not saying it's a home run hire but the last guy we stole from duke worked out I guess.....

Says the 48 other OCs with more prolific offenses.

Maybe...but remind me: What happened to Cutcliffe at Ole Miss? And we didn't even hire Cutcliffe. We hired his mini-me.

We had a golden opportunity to really turn the corner with a great hire at OC...especially because our offense hasn't been viable since Mullen left. Instead, we punted, and it will most likely result in a wasted 2014 and another period of rebuilding with a new regime.

Maybe...but remind me: What happened to Cutcliffe at Ole Miss? And we didn't even hire Cutcliffe. We hired his mini-me.

We had a golden opportunity to really turn the corner with a great hire at OC...especially because our offense hasn't been viable since Mullen left. Instead, we punted, and it will most likely result in a wasted 2014 and another period of rebuilding with a new regime.

What top notch OC is going to come to a school where the Head Coach can be gone in the next year which means more than likely the OC would too?

But how the hell can you judge a hire, mere hours after it's made? He has yet to coach up a player at Florida and you're so quick to say he will be a dud.

Says the 48 other OCs with more prolific offenses.

If this guy is Cutcliffe made over, you should be ecstatic. I'd argue there's not a better combination of play caller/QB coach in the country than Cutcliffe, and Cutcliffe was the sole reason Fulmer wasn't fired sooner, when he came back in 06 and 07, turning around the trainwreck that was our 2005 offense. If mentoring Peyton and Eli isn't enough of a vote of confidence for his offensive mind, just check the turnaround he made from the 2005 Vols offense to our 06 and 07 offenses, in specific the improvement of Erik Ainge. Ole Miss was stupid to fire Cutcliffe, too, so I'm not really sure that's the best thing to use against him. It's not like it's easy to build a winner at Ole Miss, and Cutcliffe got them to a 10 win season.

If this guy has been calling plays/learning under Cutcliffe like Shaun says, I'm not sure there's a better hire that could have been made. Florida may very well have a homerun hire.

If this guy is Cutcliffe made over, you should be ecstatic. I'd argue there's not a better combination of play caller/QB coach in the country than Cutcliffe, and Cutcliffe was the sole reason Fulmer wasn't fired sooner, when he came back in 06 and 07, turning around the trainwreck that was our 2005 offense. If mentoring Peyton and Eli isn't enough of a vote of confidence for his offensive mind, just check the turnaround he made from the 2005 Vols offense to our 06 and 07 offenses, in specific the improvement of Erik Ainge. Ole Miss was stupid to fire Cutcliffe, too, so I'm not really sure that's the best thing to use against him. It's not like it's easy to build a winner at Ole Miss, and Cutcliffe got them to a 10 win season.

If this guy has been calling plays/learning under Cutcliffe like Shaun says, I'm not sure there's a better hire that could have been made. Florida may very well have a homerun hire.

and derrick Dooley learned from saban....

I guess this means there is no chance we get rid of Muschump this year. I am disappoint.

and derrick Dooley learned from saban....

Dooley was an offensive guy under a defensive guy, that kind of comparison doesn't really work.

Is it official or just a rumor?

Flew down to Gainesville yesterday on the UF plane, guy who broke the news of the actual hire also broke the Pease hire when nobody else knew and Gator reporters on 247 said he's a guy who can be trusted with news like this.

So what you are saying is Muschamp is just trying to get himself fired. Gotcha

just check the turnaround he made from the 2005 Vols offense to our 06 and 07 offenses, in specific the improvement of Erik Ainge.

I think you lost when you mentioned Erik Ainge, who got trolled by an SECTalk post. By @@WadeWilson. On national radio. Automatically negates the rest of your post.

Outstanding, Duke had an impressive offense this year... looked better than they ever have since Spurrier, and did so with a serious lack of talent.

Can't wait to see what he can do with some top players.

"But here's the most eye-popping statistic for Roper, who was a Broyles Award finalist as one of the nation's top offensive coordinators this year: In every year he was at Duke but one, the Blue Devils scored more points than the previous year"

Going back to the old Duke well, risky.

We're used to risky. Grabbing Spurs from Duke was risky; everybody said his high-flying offense would never work in the SEC.

Grabbing Meyer from Utah was risky; everybody said his spread offense would never work in the SEC.

Gator fans were ridiculed all through 2005 despite a 9-3 record; and continued to be ridiculed right through 2006, until about 11 P.M. on January 8th of 2007.

We're used to risky. Grabbing Spurs from Duke was risky; everybody said his high-flying offense would never work in the SEC.

Grabbing Meyer from Utah was risky; everybody said his spread offense would never work in the SEC.

Gator fans were ridiculed all through 2005 despite a 9-3 record; and continued to be ridiculed right through 2006, until about 11 P.M. on January 8th of 2007.

I believe going back to the Duke "well" is the risky part is all I meant. Spurrier is Spurrier...same with Urban.

I believe going back to the Duke "well" is the risky part is all I meant. Spurrier is Spurrier...same with Urban.

When I look at Duke's last 3 or 4 recruiting classes, after having watched a few of their games this year, I'm pretty optimistic... one thing's for certain, it damn sure can't get worse.

When I look at Duke's last 3 or 4 recruiting classes, after having watched a few of their games this year, I'm pretty optimistic... one thing's for certain, it damn sure can't get worse.

Exactly. Give us a top 60 offense last year, we're in bcs title game.

It ain't gonna work ....quote me.

That's okay, even when it don't we still have enough to get over on the Vols. ;)

• Flea
      LSU is the only Power 5 team in a state with a tiny population compared to Texas.  LSU and Bama made out like bandits by bringing in A&M.  And to show how autonomous LSU is, wasn't their recent change decided at ULL game?   Houston?  A serious multi-year threat?  With their pack 45,000 seat stadium and limited funds?   They flash every few decades. They won't keep TH that long.   tu?  Can't compete with the SEC brand.  TCU and Baylor?  Self-destruct at least once per 20 years.   
    • Rebel WITH a cause
      I stopped watching it 28 minutes before it started.
    • GoldenRebel
      They will always play second fiddle to Texas.  And they are likely about to share their metropolitan area with a new Power 5 team in Houston that has the hottest coach in the country.   Both have all the money and resources they could ever hope for.  A coach isn't going to ask for something and not receive it at either.  But LSU is the only player in their state and they have autonomy.  That's the tie breaker in my opinion.  
    • 1dawgfan09
      TAMU is in  a bigger state with more folks and more folks with deeper pockets if for no other reason than sheer population alone.
    • L.A.Hog
      Trump didn't deny  not paying any federal taxes.... just wait for the audit..wonder which country he's paying his lower taxes to?...frick that semi wealthy tax dodging bastard....I guess I'm paying for his freeloading ass
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    4. 4
      razorhead