• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenRebel

World Cup 2014

455 posts in this topic

Discuss

Getting grouped with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana sucks

We just had our worst season in 35 years and I still don't care about soccer.

I would rather watch the ending of the Georgia Southern game on loop.

Italy, Uruguay, Czech, and England is another tough one

We got two teams that always beat us and the third has one of the best players on Earth

Ghana..........again..........sigh.

Need a draw against either Germany or Portugal and Ghana (first match) is a must win.......for us to even have a chance of advancing.

We can take Portugal.

This isn't your daddy's 2002 Portugal team.......I'd be very surprised if we get any points against them. I'm thinking we have a better chance at a draw with Germany.

The group of death, fawking hell.

We need to beat Ghana, but they have haunted us via knocking us out of the world cup in 2006 and 2010. Germany will push our s--t in, but we need at least a draw with Portugal too IMO

The game against Portugal is in Manaus, in the middle of the Amazon. Midwinter temps are 90 degrees with 90% humidity. Maybe we can practice for a few months in Miami and surprise the Portuguese.

On a side note, how do Brazilians think of Portugal. Is it the motherland and their second favorite team or are they still pissed off over the 400 years of oppression and genocide? If its the first then we will basically be playing them in a home game for them.

It's soccer.

If our best athletes played soccer we'd NEVER lose.

Could you imagine LeBron in goal? Lol

Really bummed about this draw. NEED to win against Ghana and see if we can pull something out of our ass against the other two. I think our best chance is against Portugal of the two. They scraped in and haven't played convincingly the last few times I've seen them play. Let's hope CR7 forgets how to play next year.

On a side note, how do Brazilians think of Portugal. Is it the motherland and their second favorite team or are they still pissed off over the 400 years of oppression and genocide? If its the first then we will basically be playing them in a home game for them.

It's no different than the England team playing here. There will be a sprinkling of Brazilians cheering for Portugal, but by no means is it a home game

Portugal hasn't been as disappointing as Mexico the last yr or so, but they have not looked good for awhile. The talent is there and they have 6 months to improve. If they don't, it shouldn't shock anyone if we beat them.

Mexico roster:

Goalkeepers: Jesus Corona, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera

Defenders: Paul Aguilar, Miguel Layun, Diego Reyes, Rafael Marquez, Francisco Rodriguez, Hector Moreno, Carlos Salcido, Andres Guardado

Midfielders: Juan Carlos Medina, Jose Juan Vazquez, Isaac Brizuela, Luis Montes, Carlos Pena, Marco Fabian, Hector Herrera

Forwards: Raul Jimenez, Alan Pulido, Javier Hernandez, Giovani dos Santos, Oribe Peralta

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/114/mexico/2014/05/09/4804783/mexico-names-23-man-world-cup-roster

Brazil roster:

GOALKEEPERS: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atlético Mineiro)

DEFENDERS: Dani Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Roma), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (PSG), Thiago Silva (PSG), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli)

MIDFIEDLERS: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Willian (Chelsea)

FORWARDS: Hulk (Zenit), Neymar (Barcelona), Fred (Fluminense), Jô (Atlético Mineiro), Bernard (Shaktar Donetsk)

http://soccer.si.com/2014/05/07/brazil-world-cup-roster-neymar-scolari-julio-cesar/

Those are the only rosters I have seen so far. I'm getting really freaking excited.

Our draw has literally taken the excitement out if it for me, but I still am hopeful we can make some noise.

The first game against Ghana is a must win. If we get a tie or loss, we are done. We can take Portugal. What I'm hoping for is a win vs Ghana, tie with Portugal, and tie with Germany after they have already advanced and are resting some players.