• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueGCFan

Connor Shaw, USC's best QB Ever?

12 posts in this topic

COLUMBIA — Seconds after South Carolina completed its 31-17 victory against archrival Clemson on Saturday night, Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier hugged quarterback Connor Shaw.

“He is the best quarterback ever,” Spurrier said after the embrace. “He’s the best ever.”

That’s a high compliment, considering some of the others who played quarterback at USC.

Among them:

• Tommy Suggs (1968-70), who passed for almost 5,000 yards and was the quarterback on the 1969 team that won the Atlantic CoastConferenceicon1.png, still the program’s only league championship;

• Jeff Grantz (1972-75), a pass-run threat who was a second-team All-American as a senior;

• Mike Hold (1984-85), a junior college transfer who helped lead the Gamecocks to a then-program record 10 victories in the “Black Magic” 1984 season;

• Todd Ellis (1986-89), who quarterbacked the Gamecocks to 25 wins and remains the school record-holder in passing yards with 9,953;

• Steve Taneyhill (1992-95), the program record holder with 62 touchdown passes and the quarterback who led USC to its first-ever bowl win in 1994.

Shaw’s numbers make a strong case. On Saturday, he broke Ellis’ record for the most victories by a quarterback at 26; he also holds the record for the best career winning percentage at .839.

This season, Shaw has completed 158 of 259 passes for 2,135 yards with 21 touchdowns and only one interception. He also has rushed for 511 yards and five touchdowns. Shaw’s career stats are also impressive. With onegameicon1.png remaining, he has completed 458 of 708 passes for 5,762 yards with 53 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. He has rushed for 1,636 yard with 16 scores.

His accomplishments have come in the Southeastern Conference, the most talented league in the Football Bowl Subdivision, and that has other quarterbacks who have worn the garnet and black agreeing with Spurrier.

http://www.greenvill...-USC-s-best-QB-

What was his overall W/L?

I know he was 17-0 at Williams Brice

He's definitely way up there for us, if not at the top. It's been nice having a solid QB with a good head on his shoulders leading the SC offense.

What was his overall W/L?

I know he was 17-0 at Williams Brice

He has the highest winning percentage in USC history. He was 27-6 I believe.

Loses

2011 - Arkansas (Abuurn was by Garcia)

2012 - LSU\Florida

2013 - UGA\UT (I fully believe had he finished the UT game we would have won)

5 loses since becoming the starting QB

He's the best we've had in my personal opinion but then, I went to USC in 1992 so I've only personally seen Taneyhill and his successors. I have heard stories about how good Ellis was, of course....but other than grainy highlights here and there, it's hard to form an opinion on whether he was a better QB than Connor. And I don't believe you can 'prove' who's better purely by stats and/or awards. Shaw definitely was surrounded by far better talent than Taneyhill was for his entire career so you have that dynamic in comparing them, too.

Way I see it, Shaw is the best we've ever had but I also think if Taneyhill (or Ellis) had the type of players, coaches & facilities that Shaw has enjoyed through his stay in Columbia, their resumes would look very different as would this conversation.

He was definitely a gamer and a leader.

Over 2100 yards passing this season with 21 TD to only 1 int. When we lost, it was never because Shaw did something stupid. That's the greatest thing you can ask for from a QB.

I don't see his skill set transferring to the NFL (may get a tryout though), but when he gets done with OCS I'm sure he is going to have a great career in the military.

He will never win any awards because his stats were never gaudy. But I would not have wanted anyone else during the last few years.

Who was it Tannyhill or an earlier qb that had the awesome mullet?

Tommy Suggs. No contest. He won our only Conference Championship. Shaw is 2nd without a doubt and has done amazing. However, Suggs didn't choke against teams we were supposed to beat. That's just the cold-hard facts.