• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokeyone

UGA QB Murrays future

37 posts in this topic

Murray needs 6-9 months to recover from his ACL. That puts him as a long shot to be drafted or to be a camp invitee. Sucks but at 6'1 210ish and lacking a cannon this might be for the best. If I recall, his family isnt lacking in funds and can support him a bit. So why not replace Saylar as an O Grad assistant for CMR. It would be a nice 2 year transition from player to coach in a system he has 5 years in and would help him land a gig as a position coach fairly easily when his GA days are over.

In 5-10 years I can see him as an OC at a bigger school or HC at a small one. Its a career path that has paid off for CMR and Bobo. He seemed to enjoy the coaching side while in school and 2 more years in college in his comfort zone while rehabbing his knee/body has to have appeal for him.

It sucks because he was a great college QB but before the injury I didnt see his skills translating very well to the next level and I think the injury ended any slim NFL hopes he had left.

Discuss.

He is similar to Drew Brees....probably better at the same point in their career.

The knee could not have come at a worse time.

I wish him well.

Well smokeyone, if this is anything like your opinions on UGA WR's, Murray will for sure make a NFL roster next year. Remember when you said Kris Durham was supposed to be a middle school teacher and had no shot at the NFL?

Well smokeyone, if this is anything like your opinions on UGA WR's, Murray will for sure make a NFL roster next year. Remember when you said Kris Durham was supposed to be a middle school teacher and had no shot at the NFL?

3 years in the NFL with 629 career yards. Is he with his second or 3rd team in his brief career? 400 of his yards have come this year but the guy he spelled is back so ole kris might be either moving on or done. Congrats, a 6-6 injury prone WR got to sniff the NFL before he goes back to being a middle school teacher.

3 years in the NFL with 629 career yards. Is he with his second or 3rd team in his brief career? 400 of his yards have come this year but the guy he spelled is back so ole kris might be either moving on or done. Congrats, a 6-6 injury prone WR got to sniff the NFL before he goes back to being a middle school teacher.

2nd leading WR on the Lions this year. Not bad for a guy with no business being a pro football player, am I right?

2nd leading WR on the Lions this year. Not bad for a guy with no business being a pro football player, am I right?

We is the #4 WR and was playing because of an injury. It does speak volumes about how bad the rest of the lion WRs are preforming when he is second in yardag as an WR. Reggie Bush is on his heels at RB, as is Bell the other RB. Of cource none are with in 400 yards of the team leader.

Well, the point still stands: He has way exceeded your expectations, which were blinded by hate. Not the 1st time this has occurred and wont be the last.

I see some team taking Murray late in the draft despite the injury and getting a good deal on him. He's not a perfect QB by any means (see: big games) but he's got NFL talent and could be a starter some day if he recovers well.

I think he will get drafted by someone and they'll rehab him. Unfortunately, just like Lattimore, it will cost him millions in his signing bonus. Sad story for a fine young man who has played so well for so long. Hopefully, he can come back strong and still have a good NFL career. Brings up the recurring question whether or not these athletes should just bag their last year and not take the risk.

I know you explained already, but who is kris durham? Yes, Murray was injured in his final year, but he wouldn't have gone that high last year against all the qbs that did come out.

He'll go really low in the draft to a team that doesn't have an immediate need for a QB and can rehab him. That could be a good thing, but usually those guys get lost in the mix and just end up on the sidelines bouncing around teams for a few years before the career is over.

I see some team taking Murray late in the draft despite the injury and getting a good deal on him. He's not a perfect QB by any means (see: big games) but he's got NFL talent and could be a starter some day if he recovers well.

In fairness I believe Murray made a strong case this year to shed the label that he can't handle big games. He played lights out vs. USC, LSU, and AU.

In fairness I believe Murray made a strong case this year to shed the label that he can't handle big games. He played lights out vs. USC, LSU, and AU.

He definitely did a lot to erase it, but it's hard to get rid of a reputation built over three years...

Honestly, I hope he does well in the NFL. He seems like a good guy and he's not a UGAY anymore.

I know you explained already, but who is kris durham? Yes, Murray was injured in his final year, but he wouldn't have gone that high last year against all the qbs that did come out.

WR we had a couple years ago. Very talented while at Georgia.

Pretty good i hear eh? Haha

I watched him on their Thanksgiving day win and he looked good. First time I've seen him play as a pro. He will never be a Calvin Johnson but then again, no one is....

Murray does have NFL talent contrary to what a lot of the uniformed fans think. Pre-ACL injury he would have been drafted in the early 2nd round of the draft (scouts have been watching him at UGA practice all year as well). He has a strong arm and isn't a midget by any means (6'1 isn't short compared to many other successful quarterbacks currently in the NFL like Brees and Wilson). Post injury? I don't know. Probably 5th round or so to a team that can rehab him and he can learn behind a good quarterback. I'd like to see the Saints take a late shot on him so he can learn behind Brees who has a very similar skill set (very, very similar skill set). Murray actually really does have a pretty damn good arm. He isn't Matthew Stafford or Joe Flacco but he isn't David Greene either. His very first year here he heaved a hail mary for 70 yards before any attempt to catch the ball was made and he has packed on a lot of muscle since then. That is more than enough arm strength for the NFL.

Really the only knock on Murray is that he is 6'1 (probably closer to 6'0) but that isn't too short to eventually be a starter. He has typical strong mechanics that Richt quarterbacks have (one of the few good aspects of Richt is quarterback development being top notch).

Also Kris Durham is not a slouch by any means Smokey, your projection was simply wrong and you should man up and admit it. He has been producing pretty well this year at Detroit considering all of the other people he has to compete for plays thrown his way (Megatron, Reggie Bush etc.)

A more notable bust has been Jarvis Jones who even I said would struggle in the NFL because he isn't good in coverage or stopping the run. He'll probably get better though.

Murray does have NFL talent contrary to what a lot of the uniformed fans think. Pre-ACL injury he would have been drafted in the early 2nd round of the draft (scouts have been watching him at UGA practice all year as well). He has a strong arm and isn't a midget by any means (6'1 isn't short compared to many other successful quarterbacks currently in the NFL like Brees and Wilson). Post injury? I don't know. Probably 5th round or so to a team that can rehab him and he can learn behind a good quarterback. I'd like to see the Saints take a late shot on him so he can learn behind Brees who has a very similar skill set (very, very similar skill set). Murray actually really does have a pretty damn good arm. He isn't Matthew Stafford or Joe Flacco but he isn't David Greene either. His very first year here he heaved a hail mary for 70 yards before any attempt to catch the ball was made and he has packed on a lot of muscle since then. That is more than enough arm strength for the NFL.

Really the only knock on Murray is that he is 6'1 (probably closer to 6'0) but that isn't too short to eventually be a starter. He has typical strong mechanics that Richt quarterbacks have (one of the few good aspects of Richt is quarterback development being top notch).

Also Kris Durham is not a slouch by any means Smokey, your projection was simply wrong and you should man up and admit it. He has been producing pretty well this year at Detroit considering all of the other people he has to compete for plays thrown his way (Megatron, Reggie Bush etc.)

A more notable bust has been Jarvis Jones who even I said would struggle in the NFL because he isn't good in coverage or stopping the run. He'll probably get better though.

Murray doesnt have a huge arm and lacks the measurables you want in an NFL QB. IMO his furutre is as a coach and he has the perfect oppertunity infront of him at UGA right now to make that happen. I just dont see an NFL GM throwing money or a roster spot his way in his current condition.

Durham stayed injured at UGA (a theme caried through this year for UGA WRs). The only thing he has is his size. At 6'6 he is a mismatch for DBs. He is slow and injury prone and that hasnt changed.

Murray doesnt have a huge arm and lacks the measurables you want in an NFL QB. IMO his furutre is as a coach and he has the perfect oppertunity infront of him at UGA right now to make that happen. I just dont see an NFL GM throwing money or a roster spot his way in his current condition.

Durham stayed injured at UGA (a theme caried through this year for UGA WRs). The only thing he has is his size. At 6'6 he is a mismatch for DBs. He is slow and injury prone and that hasnt changed.

Murray has a strong arm. You're plain wrong about that. He will still be drafted, only now it will be a later round due to the ACL. Durham has really good hands and is actually pretty fast for his size btw. Injury proneness isn't a really a reasonable knock on any player unless they are taking themselves out of games over more minor stuff too often (think Isaiah Crowell for example). Any and every play will miss time at some point due to an injury. It's a contact sport. Durham is a solid receiver. Is he Calvin Johnson or AJ Green? No, but he is producing plenty enough for someone that was a 4th round pick and is sharing the load with so many other weapons on his offense.

He ran a 4.46 on his 40 yard Dash at the combine... that isn't slow in fact it's faster than what AJ Green ran http://www.nfldrafts...=2011&genpos=WR

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/russell-wilson?id=2532975

Overview

Wilson is this year's big-time question mark at quarterback. Unlike those who have held this title in the past, Wilson is a stellar passer who shows arm strength and accuracy when he is able to deliver the ball without a hitch. The North Carolina State transfer has outstanding football intelligence, as he picked up the Wisconsin offense in a short time and was the opening-day starter. But teams will have concerns whether Wilson can see over the pocket to make the throws at the next level. He is a mechanical mover who has strong technique and leadership qualities. If Wilson were three inches taller, there would be debate at the top of the draft as to where he fits. But look for teams to take a flier on him in a late round to see if he can develop and outplay his size.

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/draft/2012draft/Russell-Wilson/

Weaknesses are that outside of Doug Flutie you don’t see qbs under 6ft and Russell is a sturdy 5ft 11. He doesn’t look that short and he has a good over the top delivery but his height will definitely be a knock. Also, he hasn’t really showed the arm vertically down field so I don’t think he will take the top off a defense or work well with a wr who excels in the deep passing game. Also, he has only really been a NFL prospect being at Wisconsin where he has benefited from top notch talent around him. Even though he has good mechanics his release is a little deliberate.

Terrible time for an injury. Wish him well, but I think it is going to cost him quite a bit of money. I hope he had bought some insurance on his draft status. However if Jonathan Crompton and Matt Simms can get a cup of coffee in the NFL I think Aaron Murray has a pretty decent chance of at least getting a chance.

In case you dog fans didn't understand, I was being sarcastic about Durham. Also, to compare Murray to Brees or Wilson is just asinine! Brees and Wilson are both dual threat qbs and were even more so in college. Murray is a pro style qb.

You being clueless about UGA players hasnt changed.

Preseason starts in August. Some guys can recover from ACL repair in that time period. Its becoming more and more common actually.

If all Durham had was height, he would be teaching middle school right now as you predicted. In his 4 years of playing football at UGA, I believe he missed 4 total games. Not exactly "stayed injured".

In case you dog fans didn't understand, I was being sarcastic about Durham. Also, to compare Murray to Brees or Wilson is just asinine! Brees and Wilson are both dual threat qbs and were even more so in college. Murray is a pro style qb.

Murray is a dual threat he was just never utilized in that way outside of his freshman year. He is easily as much of a dual threat as Brees...

One of the most complete QBs of his class, Murray simply wins. Lacks the size of a true pocket passer but understands positioning within the pocket and has uncanny awareness. Has excellent feet and can slide to open throwing lanes, thus negating the height issue. Makes great decisions and cuts zones to pieces. Has very good arm strength and unbelievable touch. Is most dangerous, though, when he gets on the edge. Peerless leader--Burke Hayes