• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dawgfan4life24

Tennessee and Virginia Tech set to play at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016

82 posts in this topic

They agreed to play this game in 2016. Expecting a record number of 160,000 fans to attend.

Thoughts?

They agreed to play this game in 2016. Expecting a record number of 160,000 fans to attend.

Thoughts?

160k fans? Holy s--t that's a lot.

160k is a ton of people. Not sure i can see that kind of crowd for this game. Maybe for the venue.

160k fans? Holy s--t that's a lot.

Yea thats what they are expecting. I was shocked too. Thats a TON of people.

Yea thats what they are expecting. I was shocked too. Thats a TON of people.

The motorway holds 165K people, I honestly didn't know that auto-sports attracted that many people.

That's huge. Although I figured they'd get 2 better teams than that to play there. I don't think those 2 schools will fill that many seats.

That's huge. Although I figured they'd get 2 better teams than that to play there. I don't think those 2 schools will fill that many seats.

Thats my thinking. Not knocking either but i would have though to try out this "speedway" deal they would put two heavyweight teams in it. Will be interesting though.

Thats my thinking. Not knocking either but i would have though to try out this "speedway" deal they would put two heavyweight teams in it. Will be interesting though.

Great minds think alike!

Its been talked about for years. And by that I mean when Michael Vick and Casey Clausen were the quarterbacks. Bristol Motor Speedway is smack dab in the middle of Knoxville and Blacksburg, in fact, Bristol is in both Tennessee and Virginia. If you add the stadium sizes together you get more than 160,000. I'd be surprised if that many go considering the fact that the game will be played further away for both fan bases. Nashville to Knoxville can be a day trip but thats not the case for Nashville to Bristol. Tennessee fans travel well when they are good and from the looks of things Tennessee is on the rise. VaTech on the other hand has been sliding down hill and I wonder how much longer they can put up with Beamer. It seems like they always lose big games and drop the ball against inferior teams and somehow win 9-10 games. Its a long ways away but I will be interested in going.

This has been in the works for years on the Bristol side. Neither school was fired up about it. Its about 2 hours to both schools and a natural rivalry that has never been tapped. In 16 we will play VaTech and Nebraska.

I hate the idea. The game will be way too far from the stands and I hate VaTech. Bristol wants this to be a regular game and if tech buys its way into the SEC odds are it will be.

Tickets won't be a problem. We are selling upward of 95,000+ even with Dooley as coach for big games. It doesn't matter though because there won't be that many tickets because you would be sitting 1/4 mile away from the 50 if you were to sit at the top of the racetrack stands in what would be one of the endzones. Of course they will be able to add in temporary bleachers in the track area that will be closer to the action.

It's a cool idea on the surface...but that is a lot of people to expect to come and watch to teams of ants play what might look like football.

The motorway holds 165K people, I honestly didn't know that auto-sports attracted that many people.

The Indy 500 used to attract 200K for Pole Day alone. They still get north of the for raceday.

People love their left turns, I guess.

no chance of 160k. not for a game that has no implications what so ever

The UT is Tennessee not texas.

2016 is a good ways away, what's your crystal ball showing you that mine is not?

The Indy 500 used to attract 200K for Pole Day alone. They still get north of the for raceday.

Indy Car Racing is dying a slow, agonizing death.

Indy Car Racing is dying a slow, agonizing death.

Tell me about it.

Only when the economy is kicking in all gears. Nascar has been hit the hardest out of all the sports. You use to have to get on a waiting list for Bristol ticketed. Now they can't even sell it out for the night race.

I live here in Bristol and you can not turn on a TV or listen to a radio station with out hearing about this news. Now you can be sitting in your seats at Ktown in about 1.5 hours and about 2 hours from Hokieville. About 90 percent of all college swag on things in this town is either UT or VT stuff. As long as they don't jack the prices on tickets this place will be a ghost town when that game happens.

You got to be kidding...terrible site lines and what the crap are they going to put in to play on. Bad idea....no dressing rooms either. Just to 160K we are going to do this? Bad idea!