• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDStud6

Urban Meyer might have covered up an Aaron Hernandez drive-by shooting

26 posts in this topic

http://sports.yahoo....-042603810.html

If Ohio State coach Urban Meyer thought the start of the season might be a nice distraction from scrutiny about his time at Florida with alleged murderer Aaron Hernandez, he’s not going to get that lucky.

Rolling Stone is set to release a detailed story of Hernandez’s life, which chronicles his time as a Florida Gator and several incidents the magazine claims Meyer, who was the head coach at the time, might have covered up.

The following excerpt is a teaser for the article from the Rolling Stone website:

In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.

It’s important to not the phrase “may have helped cover up” here. Even though we haven’t read the entire article, the teaser seems to allude to a possible cover-up without any actual proof of one.

This has been a theme when it comes to tracing Hernandez’s past. Many have alluded to things that might have gone on at Florida and Meyer’s role in covering up those things, but no one has produced any definitive proof that Meyer knew Hernandez was excessively violent or even troubled. And there’s certainly been no evidence to suggest Meyer covered up any of Hernandez’s violent acts, let alone a drive-by shooting.

But then there’s the old adage: “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” It’s hard to believe Meyer didn’t have some cursory knowledge that Hernandez was a troubled young man, who was involved with people and things he probably shouldn’t have been.

To what extent that knowledge may have spanned is still up for debate and might be revealed in this Rolling Stone piece.

The issue hits newsstands Friday.

JD

I realize he was a bit....uh...lax... with punishments, but there is no damn way a head coach would cover up for a player that was part of a drive-by.

Good Lord.

For a TE.

That hadn't even played yet.

At this point, I don't mind the smear campaign against him, but I wish they would make it realistic at least.

I realize he was a bit....uh...lax... with punishments,

My, my, that sure wasn't the story you were talking when Meyer was YOUR head coach. I seem to remember some pretty heated arguments along this EXACT same topic a few years back.......

Tell me I'm wrong about this Joe......... :lol:

My, my, that sure wasn't the story you were talking when Meyer was YOUR head coach. I seem to remember some pretty heated arguments along this EXACT same topic a few years back.......

Tell me I'm wrong about this Joe......... :lol:

I only said that now to show some contrast.

I still don't think he was all that lax on punishments.

It's just that there were a lot of them. Still fewer arrests than UGA had in the same time period though.

Urban's a douchestache. This doesn't surprise me...

He also basically said he could kick Wil Muschamp's ass

:trollface:

Or he said he could "h\old his own" against coaches that wanted to take a swing at him - whatever. It's pretty obvious that he was implying that he could kick Wil Muschamp's ass...

Only one real solution here, give UF the death penalty

So that way you don't have to play us?

I would actually put Muschamp up against anyone in a brawl.

But Meyer could hold his own I bet.

He would kick you in the nuts, but it would work.

So that way you don't have to play us?

No, I have no problem with an extra W

Muschamp would stroke out before the fight even got started

He'll also fake an injury.

Haha, I still don't hate Meyer like so many Gators do.

I don't think he bitched out when things got tough, and I don't think he faked an illness to retire either.

I just don't think many people have ever been given the opportunity to live out their ultimate dream.

He had that chance and while I don't like it at all, I don't blame him for taking it.

A small part of me would almost feel sry for O$U fans if this were true. Finally back on track and a probable championship bid and their coach gets fired.

Nvm, it might help our recruiting in Ohio. That's what really matters

Haha, I still don't hate Meyer like so many Gators do.

I don't think he bitched out when things got tough, and I don't think he faked an illness to retire either.

I just don't think many people have ever been given the opportunity to live out their ultimate dream.

He had that chance and while I don't like it at all, I don't blame him for taking it.

Good point. But I don't hate Meyer. I'm glad that we have Muschamp.

I am indifferent.

I would still root for him against half the SEC.

I dislike the dude, and I thought he was a douchnugget while he was here. I liked that he was winning but I honestly got the feeling he was a guy who never wanted to be here. Most people will argue "how can you dislike him? He won you 2 national championships." I'm not unappreciative, I just really dislike him as a person. I thought he was generally sick the first time he pulled it, then he came back and he tried to do it again and tried to also turn it back on spending time with family when he accepted a job at ESPN where he was away just as much working for ESPN going from game to game every week and then he accepted the job at OSU even further away from his daughter who he was trying to spend time with and go to her games and all that? Like really dude.

I'm not saying this Hernandez story is true, but I really wouldnt be surprised. But true or not, if published that writer better lawyer the lanekiffin.gif up because Urban is going to come at him full force because he cant handle criticism.

kind of like lanekiffin.gif taking the job at USC, which was the fulfillment of his lifelong dream

got it!

Well you would think Rolling Stone would have their s--t together before saying something as major as that, but I don't really trust journalism or the media today.

I never bought into this Urban hate, but there is a never ending trail of actions where he doesn't look good at all and it's difficult to defend him anymore.

kind of like :lanekiffin: taking the job at USC, which was the fulfillment of his lifelong dream

got it!

Yeah, except Urban actually won trophies.

Yeah, except Urban actually won trophies.

respect where respect is due

Spurrier

Myer

Saban

the 3 greatest coaches that are still coaching the game

My guy, Richt is a damn good coach, but not "one of the best ever" - in the same league as Vince Dooley

his body of work SHOULD have netted a crystal by now (we have had seasons as good as UF, LSU & Bama have had that got them one); but part of it is luck (IE - what did everyone else do that year)

Gator fans should be grateful to Meyer in the same way they are Spurs - and should HOPE that CWM winds up being half as good...

respect where respect is due

Spurrier

Myer

Saban

the 3 greatest coaches that are still coaching the game

My guy, Richt is a damn good coach, but not "one of the best ever" - in the same league as Vince Dooley

his body of work SHOULD have netted a crystal by now (we have had seasons as good as UF, LSU & Bama have had that got them one); but part of it is luck (IE - what did everyone else do that year)

Gator fans should be grateful to Meyer in the same way they are Spurs - and should HOPE that CWM winds up being half as good...

We will basically never compare Meyer to Spurs.

I hope one day we can compare Muschamp to Spurs though.

They share some similarities so most of us are very hopefuly that Muschamp does well. He is easy to like.