• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForwardRebels

International Football (Soccer)

412 posts in this topic

Anyone else a fan of a team in the English Premier League?

I have supported Manchester United since the summer of 2007. Last week, I finally got around to making the trip to Old Trafford (United's stadium) and man was it awesome! Finally got some gear that I had been looking for, and I got to get a couple of the player's autographs.

The players whose autograph I got include: Edwin Van der Sar, Javier Hernandez, Rafael, John O'Shea, Ryan Giggs, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Owen, Ji-Sung Park, Tomasz Kuszczak, Fabio da Silva, and lastly, Paul Scholes. Van der Sar is a legend in the EPL, and I was freakin stoked to shake his hand and get his autograph. He is set to retire soon. I was also stoked to get Giggs and Scholes' autographs.

If you aren't a fan, you should seriously consider watching and supporting a team in the EPL during the spring and summer months. It makes for a smooth transition right into NCAA football in late August and September. Here's a list of the teams in the EPL as of the 2010-11 season: List of Premier League clubs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Each club has it's own outstanding history, except Manchester City, and a long tradition of footballing excellence.

Obviously I am biased, but here are the chants and songs of Manchester United along with the official song: Manchester United Songs and Chants about Liverpool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TzRRdsw9cc

Lastly, here is the official song of the the FC in the city I currently reside in (Liverpool).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3Nax8yyOE

Being a fan of Man U is like being a fan of the Yankees.

I like watching Champions League better than EPL anyways.

Lastly, here is the official song of the the FC in the city I currently reside in (Liverpool).

sounds better with a scottish accent.

i watch Arsenal for several months each season, up until they have too many draws to compete for the title. love em, but they are the most frustrating team to follow.

my first team is Ajax, but i only get to seem them on a spanish channel when they play PSV. so they are pretty hard to follow.

I'm a fan of soccer in general. I follow the French league more closely than the EPL, but I do catch the games when they're on. I used to follow it more when Henry was still with Arsenal. Lately, I've been finding myself rooting for the Spurs more and more.

My favorite team from any league is Marseille (l'OM).

I'm a fan of soccer in general. I follow the French league more closely than the EPL, but I do catch the games when they're on. I used to follow it more when Henry was still with Arsenal. Lately, I've been finding myself rooting for the Spurs more and more.

My favorite team from any league is Marseille (l'OM).

Yes, the Marseille match cost me some money from the February match in which we drew with Marseille.

Thankfully I won it back in March. Never underestimate the Frech teams!

ill watch Ligue Un every now and then, but i prefer PSG. i used to watch Nantes a little, but i dont think they are even in the top division anymore.

Yes, the Marseille match cost me some money from the February match in which we drew with Marseille.

Thankfully I won it back in March. Never underestimate the Frech teams!

Ah man, I was dying over the March match. The first leg really had me believing we had a chance to knock you guys out. Especially with the game at the Velodrome.

I watch soccer when I'm eating at a Mexican restaurant.

ill watch Ligue Un every now and then, but i prefer PSG. i used to watch Nantes a little, but i dont think they are even in the top division anymore.

Marseille and PSG. Now that's a rivalry!

Yeah, Nantes is in Ligue 2. Pretty close to the bottom, I think.

My favorite team is Barcelona (went on vacation there...fell in love with the city...my hostel was 2 blocks from Camp Nou so I took the tour there). On that same trip I encountered the most idiotic airport security ever in Manchester, England so Man U and City never had a chance of becoming my EPL favorite, heh.

I have tickets just a few rows from the field to see Man U v. Barcelona on July 30th up in DC. I got tickets in the Barca fan club section so it should be a ton of fun. Obviously it's just a preseason exhibition so the stars probably won't play the full game (and Messi probably won't even be there), but both these teams are stacked enough that I'll still get to see some of the world's best up close.

I've struggled to pick an EPL team, but I'm becoming more and more attached to Spurs. Their games are so helter-skelter it can be really frustrating to watch, and Gomes really sucks sometimes. But they're certainly exciting games at least. They're 4 pts behind ManCity to get into the Champions League again, so I assume the Man U fans here will also be rooting on Spurs for that, hah. With games left against City, Liverpool, and Chelsea left though, it's gonna be tough to make it back for next years.

The only other EPL I seriously considered picking was Liverpool. Not long after finally deciding to fully commit to Spurs, the Boston Red Sox owners bought Liverpool. Spurs are still number 1, but that sealed Liverpool as a strong number 2 pick.

I high-fived you just bc of your comments on the Spurs. Their style of play has really begun to win me over.

I freakin' hate Liverpool, though.

Ah man, I was dying over the March match. The first leg really had me believing we had a chance to knock you guys out. Especially with the game at the Velodrome.

I had to hear all kinds of smack from my French flatmate for almost a month about how mighty, mighty Manchester United couldn't even score a goal on Marseille. Boy was I glad when we won in March (2-1). I guess the positive to come out of it all is that I learned to curse him in French by just saying "Merde Putan" whenever I passed him.

My favorite team is Barcelona (went on vacation there...fell in love with the city...my hostel was 2 blocks from Camp Nou so I took the tour there). On that same trip I encountered the most idiotic airport security ever in Manchester, England so Man U and City never had a chance of becoming my EPL favorite, heh.

I have tickets just a few rows from the field to see Man U v. Barcelona on July 30th up in DC. I got tickets in the Barca fan club section so it should be a ton of fun. Obviously it's just a preseason exhibition so the stars probably won't play the full game (and Messi probably won't even be there), but both these teams are stacked enough that I'll still get to see some of the world's best up close.

I've struggled to pick an EPL team, but I'm becoming more and more attached to Spurs. Their games are so helter-skelter it can be really frustrating to watch, and Gomes really sucks sometimes. But they're certainly exciting games at least. They're 4 pts behind ManCity to get into the Champions League again, so I assume the Man U fans here will also be rooting on Spurs for that, hah. With games left against City, Liverpool, and Chelsea left though, it's gonna be tough to make it back for next years.

The only other EPL I seriously considered picking was Liverpool. Not long after finally deciding to fully commit to Spurs, the Boston Red Sox owners bought Liverpool. Spurs are still number 1, but that sealed Liverpool as a strong number 2 pick.

Liverpool is a great team and has a bright future ahead of them with Kenny Daglish at the helm for them.

You have no idea how often, even to this day, that my other Scouser flatmates remind me of the score 3-1 when we went to Anfield and got our arses handed to us on a platter.

The one negative of living in Liverpool and being a supporter of United is that I can't wear my gear very often.

Rule #1: Never wear United gear into a Scouser pub unless you are looking for a fight. (Should have been common sense, but you have to live and learn dontcha? lol )

I do wonder how much longer we will have Sir Alex though?

i hate liverpool. my hatred grew even stronger under Benitez when they would purchase players just so other clubs couldnt have them. they were poaching players like Crouch and Jermaine Bennett and then just letting them rot on the bench most of the time. they could have really helped the smaller clubs they were at, but got screwed by going to the city of stolen hubcaps.

Having lived in East Anglia for 4 years, my friends were Colchester United fans, so after attending matches they grow on me.

The act of wearing the 'Blue and Black' to the rivals match was something that I was not ready for.

Reminded me of the SEC more than any other conference here.

The passion these League One teams display is unbelievable.

Some of my favorite memories are of these matches. My 'gear' still hangs in the den at home.

Of course the wife and I had to do the pilgrimage to Liverpool, being fans of the Fab4.

( nice thing was that everywhere we went in the UK, a different Pint was waiting! )

I like ManU (Rooney fan) and Liverpool (Sox owners have part of it).

It's looking like another Barca/ManU final in the Champions League. Real Madrid will put up more of a fight than Shalke will be able to in the second leg, but with 2-0 on away goals in both semis the odds are greatly in favorite of the current leaders.

Always been a Newcastle fan as Alan Shearer was one of my favorites. They are finally back so it has been nice to catch them on TV this year. All time favorite player will always be Dennis Bergkamp even though I have never been an Arsenal fan. It has been nice the past couple years to watch EPL and see some Americans out there doing decent.

i'm an old man and the embrace of soccer by America's youth in the past 10-15 years is a big a surprise to me as Obama being president.

i used to wear my Aston Villa jersey back in 1996-7 and NOBODY knew what it was...people thought it was a cycling jersey. (admittedly Villa isn't the highest profile team, but still)

now it's nothing to see a soccer jersey at the mall or have a discussion with coworkers.

times sure have changed...

So what are you Man U fans doing for the Champions League final on Saturday? I'm still debating whether to go out to one of the pubs or watch it at home. Remember I'm a Barca fan so I may be a little outnumbered at the English soccer pubs in town, haha.

And for the Spurs fans, here's a story to get excited about. We'll see what this kid turns into but they just stole a kid from Chelsea that was previously considered to be the next great one to come out of Barca's youth academy. I wish things had worked out in Barcelona but at least he's now on my favorite EPL team.

Tottenham Hotspur sign former Barcelona starlet - ESPN Soccernet

Final: Manchester United 2 West Brom 1

Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young scored for United

Shane Long scored the lone goal for West Brom

Final: Manchester United 2 West Brom 1

Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young scored for United

Shane Long scored the lone goal for West Brom

Rioting pricks - 1

Spurs - 0

I wish they would have just switched home/away dates and played at Everton but perhaps there were unknown logistical problems with that option.

I don't see any way this squad makes it into the top 4 this year, but maybe with Fabregas and Nasri likely on their way out Arsenal will collapse into 6th this year with Spurs at #5 again. I don't really care about Europa league...just want Spurs above Arsenal. :P

We get two Clasicos this week though for the preseason Spanish SuperCup. Barca v. Real Madrid with the first match today 4:00 EST at the Bernabeu. This will the first time some of Barca's squad will have played together this preseason though whereas Madrid had been together as a whole for a month. I'm hoping for the best, but acknowledging even an easy Madrid victory this week doesn't necessarily mean anything for the La Liga season ahead.

Anybody watch the Spanish Super Cup? In the first leg Madrid was clearly the better squad, but Barca put away their only chances and squeezed by with a 2-2 draw. Tonight Barca were definitely the better squad though. A couple Madrid goals that never should have happened almost sent it into extra time but a great play by Cesc/Adriano/Messi resulted in the winning goal with 3 minutes to go in regulation. Then Madrid turned to their usual asshole shenanigans resulting in quite the disturbance at the end.

Mourinho showed he's even more of an ass than I realized too with this eye-gouge of a Barca assistant...

jose_mourinho_makes_stink_face_pinches_b-1.jpg

So we don't focus solely on the negative, here's the very nice game winning goal. (In Russian for bonus good times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU2qZKR_Y_4&feature=player_profilepage