• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

machineguntiger

Future Non Conference Scheduling Slive wants tougher non conference games and less cupcakes

92 posts in this topic

@McMurphyESPN - SEC Commish Mike Slive "I made it clear (to the schools) to upgrade (their non-conference) schedules"

@McMurhpyESPN - SEC's Mike Slive " I don't want (our schools) to play four (non-conference) games that don't interest our fans"

in other words if everyone's comfortable with 8 game schedule then non conference schedule must be beefed up.

More Alabama vs Michigan less Alabama vs Georgia State http://www.sportingn...-slive-muschamp Tougher schedules ahead part of plan to impress playoff committee

Slive wants tougher non conference games for basketball too.

I'm thinking if other conferences go to a nine game schedule, SEC will follow suit in a couple years.

Think schools will balk at beefing up the ooc schedule cuz might have to pay sizeable sums to break existing contracts?

I'm thinking if other conferences go to a nine game schedule, SEC will follow suit in a couple years.

Think schools will balk at beefing up the ooc schedule cuz might have to pay sizeable sums to break existing contracts?

according to that article I posted a link to "under a nine game schedule, Kentucky, UGA, Florida, and South Carolina wouldn't need to upgrade their non conference schedule everyone else would, under an eight game schedule all 14 teams must fill their schedule with two more major non conference opponents?" strange logic?

I don't agree. While i LOVE that fact that UGA has Clemson game 1 this year. You need few cupcake games a yea. SEC is a hella tough conference and those FAU's/ App States/ ETC give coaches and players a change to rest up a little knowing they are facing a weaker opponent. Gives coaches a chance to rest his first stringers and bring out some guys who wouldn't normally play, test new schemes and plays.

If the UGA schedule was 8 SEC games, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford, Oklahoma, thats a crazy schedule. The cupcake games give most teams a well deserved "type of break" during a tough SEC season

If we go to a nine game conference schedule I can tell you right now, we'll drop UofL in a skinny minute.

Wish we'd just go to a 9-game conf schedule. It's going to be very difficult for teams to schedule "stronger OOC opponents" if every other conference already plays a 9-game schedule.

No. We all play arch rivals OOC. That would mean we have just two cupcakes, which is fine.

We gotta have our 3 cupcake games. They're easy wins that we won't find in the SEC...ever. Having Louisville in our non conference schedule makes it tough enough. Not in favor of 9 conference games

I don't agree. While i LOVE that fact that UGA has Clemson game 1 this year. You need few cupcake games a yea. SEC is a hella tough conference and those FAU's/ App States/ ETC give coaches and players a change to rest up a little knowing they are facing a weaker opponent. Gives coaches a chance to rest his first stringers and bring out some guys who wouldn't normally play, test new schemes and plays.

If the UGA schedule was 8 SEC games, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford, Oklahoma, thats a crazy schedule. The cupcake games give most teams a well deserved "type of break" during a tough SEC season

Yes, you need a few cupcakes.

But look at Miss State's OOC last year:

Jackson State

Troy

South Alabama

Middle Tennessee

Ole Miss had Texas, but then they had Central Arkansas, UTEP, and Tulane.

And this year, while Bama opens with VaTech, they then have Colorado State, Georgia State, and UTC.

Replace just one of those 3 creampuffs with a solid OOC opponent--not necessarily a powerhouse, but a respectable team from an AQ conference. Not only do you get better games, but you get a better sense of how the conferences stack up.

Jackson State

Troy

South Alabama

Middle Tennessee

And this year, while Bama opens with VaTech, they then have Colorado State, Georgia State, and UTC.

Replace just one of those 3 creampuffs with a solid OOC opponent--not necessarily a powerhouse, but a respectable team from an AQ conference. Not only do you get better games, but you get a better sense of how the conferences stack up.

I agree replace creampuffs with a mid major more of a BYU/Fresno State type team

Jackson State

Troy

South Alabama

Middle Tennessee

Completely agree. I like UGA's OOC schedule this year. I only wish we could face Clemson later in the season. But your right. It gives an indicator on how the conference stack up well before bowl season when its not that important.

I'm hearing a lot of "Louisville not being a cupcake" talk in here

...and it disturbs me

slive's not saying drop every cupcake team on the schedule , but he is saying make an effort to have more than one good team on the schedule

I'm hearing a lot of "Louisville not being a cupcake" talk in here

...and it disturbs me

They're up and down. But we lost to Western last year....what do you want from us right now? We're working on it.

slive's not saying drop every cupcake team on the schedule , but he is saying make an effort to have more than one good team on the schedule

Right. I'm all for two good ooc teams. Two powder puffs and a bye week.

this may hurt those so called soft ooc teams more than it will help the sec. they get a lot of revenue playing those games we take for "granite". if they want 2 teams from power conferences so be it but no more than that. playing those softer teams also gives players on the depth chart playing time which comes in handy when injuries start to pile on. got have a few in there.

as for anybody saying ole miss has had a weak schedule you really aren't looking at it properly. lets take two games on our schedule. Alabama and lsu. who is the game harder for? Alabama? Lsu? or Ole Miss? We have been making their schedule easy while ours is hard so why bust our balls if we play Tulane?

Tough OOC games will keep the little guys down.

So I guess I'm OK with it.

this may hurt those so called soft ooc teams more than it will help the sec. they get a lot of revenue playing those games we take for "granite". if they want 2 teams from power conferences so be it but no more than that. playing those softer teams also gives players on the depth chart playing time which comes in handy when injuries start to pile on. got have a few in there.

as for anybody saying ole miss has had a weak schedule you really aren't looking at it properly. lets take two games on our schedule. Alabama and lsu. who is the game harder for? Alabama? Lsu? or Ole Miss? We have been making their schedule easy while ours is hard so why bust our balls if we play Tulane?

Playing Tulane is fine, but you need to throw some quality in there. No one was complaining when the checks were passed out, but with the tv contracts and new SEC network they'll be pushing for better games. Plus teams will be getting 2 bye weeks now so it'll soften the blow of a tough schedule.

I want us to play Miami twice more so we can take the series lead, then never schedule them again.

I want us to play Miami twice more so we can take the series lead, then never schedule them again.

Hell, as bad as they are now I'd want to schedule them every year if I was a Gator.

Playing Tulane is fine, but you need to throw some quality in there. No one was complaining when the checks were passed out, but with the tv contracts and new SEC network they'll be pushing for better games. Plus teams will be getting 2 bye weeks now so it'll soften the blow of a tough schedule.

I think playing texas, ark, bama, lsu, aub, vandy, msu is pretty dang good start.

Hell, as bad as they are now I'd want to schedule them every year if I was a Gator.

Nah, I don't want to give them any relevant games.

They make us do home-and-homes.

Even though we are the ones filling their stadium, they reap the reward$.

what a joke about mike slive wanting this....slive is now espn's bitch, so he is just the messenger from espn....

what a joke about mike slive wanting this....slive is now espn's bitch, so he is just the messenger from espn....

if you're scared just say you're scared....

• jacobp
    • TheRealBrave
      And you keep mistaking me for some ardent Trump fan. Don't know how many times I have to tell you, I voted for Kasich and loved when Mitt Romney tore Trump apart   I am about as far from a protectionist as you will find
    • TheRealBrave
      LSU has this easily, Locke hasn't faced a defense anywhere near LSU's level yet. LSU 24 Mizzou 10
    • L.A.Hog
      Exactly, he tells you what you want to hear.With no plan to follow.... But he'll reveal it soon...afrer all, its only two months til election..he'll let us know pretty soon, I reckon, what his plan is.... but that wall is the plan, millions of dollars that will be pissed off before construction, then billions to build it and we pay for it.When I say we,i don't include trump because he don't pay taxes.He's a rich welfare baby.... screw that deadbeat bitch...
    • smokeyone
      Maybe it's been so long since we have seen a candidate with a clue we don't recognize them anymore.  Boarders, Standards (law), and Culture. The fundamental essence of a nation. As it stands the system has all but removed them from this dying once great nation. Nobody respects them anymore. No one want to acknowledge they matter. Hell Trump wasn't my first or second choice but he has the message we need to hear
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      bbqit
      bbqit
    2. 2
      razorhead
      razorhead
    3. 3
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    4. 4
      JoeGator