• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDawg

Deshea Townsend

70 posts in this topic

Officially in. Mullen may cant croot, but he can sure find assistants.

This is a great hire. So much better than the Smoot rumor. As an NFL guy, should have good knowledge of schemes and development and as a USP guy, he better get us an in with their ELITE talent!

Very savvy move by Lord Merlin.

Yeah, what did the Rebs say about our ship sinking or something and theirs rising? This is the first truly "bad" season we've had since Dan's been here, and we still won 8 games. We continue to upgrade the facilities, the staff, and the recruiting. I fail to see where a fubar year means we are sinking.

13 years in the NFL looks horrible to a prospective DB from Batesville I'll bet............

Am I the only one who doesn't know this guy? Honestly I clicked thinking yall had another volleyball girl or something

Am I the only one who doesn't know this guy? Honestly I clicked thinking yall had another volleyball girl or something

Played at South Panola during the dynasty years, spent 13 seasons in the league, has strong ties in Batesville and the surrounding area.

Arguably one of the best to ever come out of SP prior to the Strongs, Pegues, Brassell, Conners, Jerry's, Sanfords etc. Played at Bama and 12 seasons with the Steelers. Pretty much a legend in the Miss. HS ranks.

Played at South Panola during the dynasty years, spent 13 seasons in the league, has strong ties in Batesville and the surrounding area.

Interesting move. Can he make the SP boys qualify?

Good hire, but it's a little late in the process to swing Conner IMO. It's just one DB coach.

Good hire though for the future

Golden, deshea played for the tide on our '99 SEC championship team I think

Great hire for MSU regardless of how the recruiting season ends. Townsend was one of my favorite players to watch at Bama back in my childhood days, and was a mainstay in the NFL for over a decade. Recruits will love the experience he has in the pros.

Golden, deshea played for the tide on our '99 SEC championship team I think

He was a little before that. Stallings era (so mid-90s). I was born in '88 and Deshea was one of the first Bama players whose name I always remembered.

Anyone who has played defense under Gene Stallings and Bill Cowher across multiple seasons has to know their stuff.

Played at Bama in the mid 90's. Very good corner. Played HS and college ball with Dwayne Rudd, not sure how S. Panola ever lost a game.

RTR

i like the hire and think its a good coaching and recruiting hire. we now have an in at south panola and a guy that brings the swag. smoot needs to get his degree then if deshea is a success, im sure hell move on and smoot can step in. its a win-win.

Yeah, what did the Rebs say about our ship sinking or something and theirs rising? This is the first truly "bad" season we've had since Dan's been here, and we still won 8 games. We continue to upgrade the facilities, the staff, and the recruiting. I fail to see where a fubar year means we are sinking.

You'll see... You lose several of your "top" DB's that were terrible by season's end, he may coach them up a little bit but your defense will still be below average. Mullen will be gone after this season one way or another. Deshea Townsend attended Alabama not the very best example to pitch South Panola players. "Hey stay in-state and represent Mississippi at State just like I... oh wait"

Deshea Townsend attended Alabama not the very best example to pitch South Panola players. "Hey stay in-state and represent Mississippi at State just like I... oh wait"

If you think the kids at USP give a s--t about what school/state they play college ball at you are dumber than I thought. They care about who/what gets them into the league the fastest/with the most efficiency.

Don't know that Townsend will be able to convince them that. But s--t, if I were a highschooler and a guy who played in the league for 15 years with two superbowl rings wanted to convince me he could get me into the NFL, I would listen.

That angle gets pitched a lot by coaches. "Represent your State" you listen to or read MS kids particularly elite South Panola kids statements when they commit or sign. "I want to stay and represent my State"

You're completely oblivious if you think that means nothing, when that is often referenced after commitments or signings... Obviously the "Get me to the NFL" pitch works not saying is doesn't but that benefits programs like LSU, Alabama, UGA, and UF more than it does a State or Ole Miss

As a basketball coach, I PROMISE you these kids do NOT care about Mississippi. They say those things about state pride and all that because coaches tell them to say those things because it is what FANS (aka $$$$$$$) wants to hear. Since you think athletes care so much about representing MS, have you noticed NONE of them every say they are from Ole Miss on their player intros on MNF or other NFL games? It is because they don't care anymore.

Athletes care about getting money so they can get themselves and their families out of a likely poor living situation, move into a bright lights big city and start buying cool stuff.

You'll see... You lose several of your "top" DB's that were terrible by season's end, he may coach them up a little bit but your defense will still be below average. Mullen will be gone after this season one way or another. Deshea Townsend attended Alabama not the very best example to pitch South Panola players. "Hey stay in-state and represent Mississippi at State just like I... oh wait"

We appreciate your input, really... we should have consulted with LMGH before this hire. We must suck.

We appreciate your input, really... we should have consulted with LMGH before this hire. We must suck.

Good hire I just don't think it's one like the poster I quoted stated.. He made it out to be an electrically great hire that stops the bleeding of your program.

@ Players do say "Ole Miss" on MNF, One player (Mike Wallace) said his high school like 4 times as did most of his team mates those weeks. This tells me you view the Ole Miss sprivals sites (Where you've seen some fans complain about it, likely) ..

Good hire I just don't think it's one like the poster I quoted stated.. He made it out to be an electrically great hire that stops the bleeding of your program.

@ Players do say "Ole Miss" on MNF, One player (Mike Wallace) said his high school like 4 times as did most of his team mates those weeks. This tells me you view the Ole Miss sprivals sites (Where you've seen some fans complain about it, likely) ..

Did not realize we were bleeding. Cool. Come on now, it's not like we went 3-9, 0-8..... that's bleeding.

• PuddingTime
      It does seem like Jones is good at getting his teams to improve over the course of each season. 
    • Booger
      heeeyy... that was an auburn fan... funny to watch nonetheless. Pretty sure the tree will be fine.   "Wiest was developed as a suspect and immediately taken into custody while still in the area on an unrelated charge of public intoxication," according to a press release from Auburn police. "Further investigation resulted in Wiest being identified as the individual responsible for setting the fire and a warrant was obtained for his arrest. He was arrested while incarcerated in the Lee County jail on the prior charge and his bond was set at $1000." Looks like the dude was on a drunken rampage. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/09/oak_tree_at_toomers_corner_set.html
    • JoeGator
      UT had a lot of dropped balls yesterday and still beat our asses anyway. 
    • Tider27
      Yeah I wouldn't be too confident on that, it's still a rivalry and you know how those go. If Georgia's WRs can actually catch a ball, they'll have more scores. Eason put it on them consistently.
    • TheRealBrave
      If you want to laugh look at our 2013 class, it's largely why we have been terrible for 2 years. It was a bad class with laughable attrition. Richt recruited way too many reaches/projects at OL and whiffed on all the good instate receivers outside of MM/TGod.   UGA is very lacking at OL/WR/DB, and lacks depth at DL/LB/OL. Obviously our kicking game is the pits, we literally cannot make 30 yard field goals
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    2. 2
      PuddingTime
      PuddingTime
    3. 3
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    4. 4
      bbqit